What is it? Intersection station or disc?

TheBeanTeam

My son & I went over the mountains on a Dad's adventure trip. We left home late in the day Sunday and arrived at the rim of Crater Lake just around midnight with a plan to sleep in our rig then hiking a bit in the morning.

It got real foggy so we pulled into the first parking lot and stayed there. By 3:00 am the fog was gone and the moon was bright enough to read by. I walked up and got my first moonlight view of the lake then slept a bit more until we got up at 5:00 to watch the sun rise. We were right below this peak and it wasn't one I could hike up with my son. We drove over and hiked up to The Watchman.

a63b8fff-d4c5-466f-be6f-8f5ee7c64b10.jpg

So here is the description: Is it a disc or intersection station?

LOCATED ON HILLMAN PEAK, ON W RIM OF CRATER LAKE, A SHARP ROCKY

NZ1037'PEAK BETWEEN LLAO ROCK AND THE WATCHMAN OR GLACIER PEAK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'THIS PEAK WAS LOCATED BY INTERSECTION BY THE COAST AND GEODETIC

NZ1037'SURVEY AND LISTED AS LIAO ROCK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'STATION IS ON HIGHEST ROCKY PEAK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'STATION MARK WAS PREVIOUSLY ESTABLISHED VERTICAL ANGLE LEVEL

NZ1037'BENCH MARK (STANDARD TABLET) CEMENTED IN LARGE, FLAT, LOOSE ROCK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'SIGNAL--FLAGS ON POLE IN MONUMENT OF ROCKS, AND BRACED WITH WIRE.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'NOTE--U.S.G.S., QUADRANGLE CRATER LAKE GIVES SPELLING AS LLAO

NZ1037'ROCK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'NAME CHANGED TO HILLMAN TO AGREE WITH POSITION LISTING.

NZ1039 WATCHMAN LOOKOUT HOUSE is the intersection station.

NZ1037 LIAO=LLAO ROCK is probably a disk (It is described as a tablet. I believe that nomenclature is also used for disks. Though it may be some other type of tablet, since no marking is listed.) That is .6 mile north on the watchtower, and is not the broken disk cemented in the stone guardrail. It is listed as set in a large, flat loose rock...

To add to the confusion NZ1035 HILLMAN is also located .6 north. No one seems to have found that one. The listed 'finds' are for the azimuth mark, the USDA mark stamped 19.

So here is the description: Is it a disc or intersection station?

LOCATED ON HILLMAN PEAK, ON W RIM OF CRATER LAKE, A SHARP ROCKY

NZ1037'PEAK BETWEEN LLAO ROCK AND THE WATCHMAN OR GLACIER PEAK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'THIS PEAK WAS LOCATED BY INTERSECTION BY THE COAST AND GEODETIC

NZ1037'SURVEY AND LISTED AS LIAO ROCK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'STATION IS ON HIGHEST ROCKY PEAK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'STATION MARK WAS PREVIOUSLY ESTABLISHED VERTICAL ANGLE LEVEL

NZ1037'BENCH MARK (STANDARD TABLET) CEMENTED IN LARGE, FLAT, LOOSE ROCK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'SIGNAL--FLAGS ON POLE IN MONUMENT OF ROCKS, AND BRACED WITH WIRE.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'NOTE--U.S.G.S., QUADRANGLE CRATER LAKE GIVES SPELLING AS LLAO

NZ1037'ROCK.

NZ1037'

NZ1037'NAME CHANGED TO HILLMAN TO AGREE WITH POSITION LISTING.

Looks to me like it's both. A disk was set (probably) by USGS and an elevation was measured by vertical angle. Since this method does not produce third order results, it was not included in the database until a signal flag was placed on the station and it was located by intersection, again by USGS. Those results were good enough for Third Order work, so the station was submitted to NGS (USC&GS).

Looking at the stations that Harry mentioned, it appears that there are two (if not three) primary stations plus additional reference marks on this peak, with no recoveries. The 1953 NGS description for NZ1035 HILLMAN makes reference to the USGS station, also called Hillman. NZ1037 LIAO=LLAO ROCK seems to be the same disk as NZ1036 8156, which was set around 1908.

Too bad you didn't get up there - this looks like a very interesting set of marks!

Edited by Holtie22

Quick somewhat related story:

When I was flying Aeromedical Evacuation for the USAF (C-9A Nightingale) in the 70's, one of our regular routes was from San Francisco (Travis AFB) to Seattle (McCord AFB). I had picked up a great tourist type write-up on Crater Lake, and on clear days we could get a clearance from ATC to do a circle around the lake, and I would read the blurb over the PA system for the patients / passengers. I had all the rim, lake & Wizard Island elevations, some history, etc. Had a lot of fun doing that for guys just back from 'Nam, and they sure seemed to enjoy it.

One very clear day, just climbing out of 23,000 feet to ~33,000 feet, maybe 50 miles north of Travis AFB, I requested and received clearance for ".. your own navigation present position direct Mount Shasta, direct Crater Lake, direct Mount Rainier, direct McCord Air Force Base". And by gosh we flew it that way, with a few circles along the way! Yes, ATC was still following us by radar. With enough altitude, and the elevations of the peaks, it is just possible on a very clear day.

Of course, this was long before GPS. For purists (and ATC controllers), I think they assumed we had Inertial Navigation (INS) or LORAN, which we didn't. They didn't ask. Very fun day. Didn't see the lookout tower, though.

End Story Time....

One very clear day, just climbing out of 23,000 feet to ~33,000 feet, maybe 50 miles north of Travis AFB, I requested and received clearance for ".. your own navigation present position direct Mount Shasta, direct Crater Lake, direct Mount Rainier, direct McCord Air Force Base". And by gosh we flew it that way, with a few circles along the way!

San Francisco to Seattle is probably the most beautiful route I've ever flown. I did it a few times in the '80s when I was doing some projects for Microsoft. I would practically hang out the window when we went past Shasta, Crater Lake, etc. It was especially gorgeous when there was snow around the rim of the deep blue Crater Lake. One time we weren't cleared for final into SeaTac right away and the pilot took us around Rainier to kill time. Very nice!

BTW, I went up to Ashland and Crater Lake a few years ago and managed to reserve a room with a lake view at Crater Lake Lodge. Just before I went to bed, a gibbous moon rose over the caldera. Just beautiful. Anyone who's never been there, you're really missing something.

Patty

Edited by Wintertime