Garmin 60CSx vs Oregon 300

LaxRef93

Hi.. I need a new GPS (currently using a Garmin Quest, which has served me well).. (well, I don't need one, but don't let my wife know that!)

Anyway, BuyDig.com has the 60CSx for $285 free shipping, but it's older tech and doesn't really do paperless (although I do paperless now with my Treo to hold the cache information), but a lot of people swear by this unit and I am sure it will do well for me.

The other one I'm looking at is the Oregon series (probably a 200 or 300). I don't really care about the electronic compass so much, so that's a nice-to-have for me. Paperless in 1 unit sounds nice.

But with the price difference, should I be going for the 60CSx, or save more money and get the Oregon in the long run? Any advice would be great!

(ps- I'm not really interested in the PN-40 because of the small screen size).

If you haven't already, go to a store that has both the 60CSx and the 300 and compare them side by side. Then see if a store clerk will go outside with you and compare both side by side in the sun, just so there won't be any surprises, go during a time of day they aren't likely to be as busy. I have both a 60CSx and Oregon 400t.

Now my opinoin: the 60CSx is the most stable and consistently accurate handheld in all terrain conditions ever produced by Garnin. 60CSx - Pros - excellent screen viewability outside; very few hardware or software problems for # of units sold; good battery life. Cons as compared to the 300 - not paperless; less resolution; to add a new map must reload all maps; won't get into the storage of waypts, tracks, and routes since those are easily compared side by side on Garnin's site.

Oregon - Pros - with the software updates the Oregon has gotten very close to being as good as the 60CSx in it's tracking cabability and accuracy. In most situations you would probably never hardly notice a difference. Touch Screen is fantastic, resolution is great, the custom backgrounds, and other various screen and profile customizations are nice. Can add a single map withouth having to reload all maps (a huge, very huge time saver). Cons - shorter battery life; screen is not as easy to see in indirect sunlight (very likely will use backlight all the time and just carry spare batteries); Note: in direct sunlight no backlight is needed, there are a lot of varying opinoins on the screen viewablility issue... all depends on what you are comparing it to.

Conclusion: I always use my 400t instead of my 60CSx now, was not the case before all the software upgrades. Touchscreen, custom profiles, and other customizations will spoil you. Go with the 300 (not the 200) but see for yourself what the screen looks like outside in bright conditions without the sun on the screen before you spend your money.

I'm sure I've left out a lot of other pros & cons... others can add.

Edited by eaparks

I used the OR 300 for a few weeks and found it to be an OK unit, but the compass was not a good selling point. It swung around even when standing still, didn't seem to ever pint in the right direction and I LOVED how you had to hold the darned thing level in order for it to work right? Like that's a normal or even a comfortable way to hold your hand??

Comparing that compass to my PN-40's, the PN-40 is much more stable and nearly never points in the wrong direction...I can trust it! Holding my PN-40 upside down, in my pocket etc, I pull it out or look at it and it's pointing in the proper direction...no need to hold level. I was tld to simply turn the compass off on the OR 300...WHAT? Might as well not even have it!

Of the two choices you presented, I would still go with the OR, paperless caching is a great thing. Just remember you'll need to buy routing maps should you want routing capability...other maps can be found for free here on the net! However, the screen, although a nice big one, is not the very best for viewing in many conditions, so if you're planning on bicycling, this unit won't be the best.

ps...PN-40 is on sale for $245 at REI right now...paperless in the box, maps are included for routing and TOPO (TOPO 8 is a sweet tool as well) plus you can get a subscription for aerial imagery. Yes the screen is small, but not a lot smaller than the 60CSx...just an FYI since I know you're not really interested in the PN-40!

Go with the 300 (not the 200)

Why do you say that? Is the electronic compass worth it? Any other reasons?

You have some good points, especially because you own both. That's a good idea to find a store comparing both and see the screens outside to compare.

The 300 has 850 Mb of internal memory, the 200 only 24 Mb; 24Mb is hardly enough to say it has internal memory other than using it for saving Custom POIs to. With the size of most map segments today you could only put a very few map segments in the internal memory. With the abiiltiy to rename the gmapsupp.img file so that you can load new maps without having to reload all maps is nice especially with the 2 memory locations (internal memory - 850Mb & micro sd card - 4Gb). Ex. - You can use one location for maps you'll never change such as all of CN, 1/2 of U.S. in topo, etc, on the memory card and use the internal memory for adding additional maps such as a 24K topo for a single trip. Or whatever method of map storage best suits your needs. My point is that the additional memory I find vey useful.

The 300 will transfer waypts., routes, & tracks wirelessly to other Oregons: models 300-550, Colorados, and Dakota 20. Not a big selling point but is usefule if your wanting to give someone coordinates in the field and they have a unit capable of wireless transfer.

As far as the compass, I agree with Rockin Roddy that it is not a big selling point, but is nice to have for generic direction pointing. I find it most useful when hunting unlike caching in which your moving more. Ex. Say it's overcast (no sun) dreary or dusk and you know to walk out you need to go walk in a Southernly direction. With the compass you can start walking in the correct general direction and not accidentially be going in the opposite direction... waiting to see what direction the satellites tell you, you are walking. I don't try to use the compass as a super accurate navigational aid but more as a very general directional finder of which it does a great job in that capacity. If your moving at a steady pace you don't need a compass anyway; the satellites will give you your heading.

If you don't won't the compass then you should consider comparing the 60Cx ($219 on sale at Costco) but I'd sitll compare to the Oregon 300 for the above mentioned reasons.

Edited by eaparks

The 300 has 850 Mb of internal memory, the 200 only 24 Mb; 24Mb is hardly enough to say it has internal memory other than using it for saving Custom POIs to. With the size of most map segments today you could only put a very few map segments in the internal memory. With the abiiltiy to rename the gmapsupp.img file so that you can load new maps without having to reload all maps is nice especially with the 2 memory locations (internal memory - 850Mb & micro sd card - 4Gb). Ex. - You can use one location for maps you'll never change such as all of CN, 1/2 of U.S. in topo, etc, on the memory card and use the internal memory for adding additional maps such as a 24K topo for a single trip. Or whatever method of map storage best suits your needs. My point is that the additional memory I find vey useful.

I think the memory difference is the big selling point to me in price difference over having a compass or not. Thanks for the insight there.