Specific knowledge to find a Cache?

kirgy9

Hi caching commuinity!

Im wondering where the rules or people's suggestions stand on making a geocache that require either alot of research or a prior knowledge in a specific topic area.

Basicaly, I build online website systems for a living, and part and parcel of what I do is working with encryption. And I was quite wanting to make a mystery cache that is found by cracking an encrypted string or a programming task (programming is the process of writing software).

Im just wondering where people stand on something like this? Is it unfair to create a geocache with such difficulty? Its likly the majority of people wont be able to crack the question.

Is it unfair to create a geocache with such difficulty?

Absolutely not! For those who love puzzles, quite often the harder they are to solve, the better folks like them.

Its likly the majority of people wont be able to crack the question.

I agree. A puzzle with that high a difficulty level might become a lonely cache. Personally, I like lonely caches.

Is it unfair to create a geocache with such difficulty?

Absolutely not! For those who love puzzles, quite often the harder they are to solve, the better folks like them.

Its likly the majority of people wont be able to crack the question.

I agree. A puzzle with that high a difficulty level might become a lonely cache. Personally, I like lonely caches.

Thats awesome then :ph34r:

One thing I wanted to do with a cache was create a cache that involved "hacking" a secure webpage of my own.

It sounds scary to say I want people to not only look up hacking but actualy hack my own webpage, but Its what I do everyday to make the internet more secure for everyone, but I know people might not like the idea of it at all.

Legaly it wouldnt be "hacking" as the page would "simulate" a hackable enviroment, but wouldnt really be hackable. Also the legalistics of hacking would mean it would be fine as I would have given permission.

What do you think about that?

Please look a the Cache Listing Guidelines, particularly at the folowing two sentence

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

To get your cache listed but you will need to work with your reviewer to show that it falls within the guidelines. Sometimes exceptions are made, though I think for these guidelines that would have to done through Groundspeak.

As long as you are ok with very very few visitors to your cache.

Also, I agree you may be running up very very close to what the guidelines allow. Essentially though, you are asking for a sort of puzzle to be solved which gives you a webpage with the coordinates. The puzzle being - hacking into the security on the page. Right?

As long as you are ok with very very few visitors to your cache.

Also, I agree you may be running up very very close to what the guidelines allow. Essentially though, you are asking for a sort of puzzle to be solved which gives you a webpage with the coordinates. The puzzle being - hacking into the security on the page. Right?

thats right, what I got in mind is something known as "SQL injection", a database hacking method. It would involve people navigating to an online form on my server and attempting to hack the form, it would appear like a log-in form.

Once they have "hacked" it, it would display the co-ordinates for the cache.

Im happy with the idea of very few visitors, I think it would be cool to see one or two exclusive people finding it. Im just worried what the commuinity would feel about it :ph34r:

Please look a the Cache Listing Guidelines, particularly at the folowing two sentence

In the interest of file security, caches that require the downloading, installing or running of data and/or executables may not be published.

Caches that require a geocacher to visit another website will not be published if the finder must create an account with, or provide personal information to, the other website.

To get your cache listed but you will need to work with your reviewer to show that it falls within the guidelines. Sometimes exceptions are made, though I think for these guidelines that would have to done through Groundspeak.

Thanks for that, thats helpful :ph34r:

I think the "hacking" idea works alongside this, as the user would have to visit another website, but they wouldnt need to enter any personal details, sign up - no nasty business *FROWNS AT NASTY BUSINESSESESES* . But I can see it working on the "boundries" of the conditions.