Did it for the first time

OK, I've ben caching for well over a year and finally went with some other cachers - besides family - on a caching run. Simply put: IT WAS THE BEST TIME I'VE EVER HAD CACHING!!!

Sorry for yelling.

Don't get me wrong, I've had some great times caching by myself; done some serious runs, gone to some great places. I prefer to be alone because I tend to suffer from social anxiety (cachers who have met me would disagree) but going up into the forest alone is not something I think is smart. I don't think this would been as much fun with just any other cachers either.

The two cachers who went I've known for a while, I invited them along to Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, The APE Cache. (Long story as to why we went, but that's another thread)

We spent about 19 hours on the road and 550 miles on the adventure, with a 5 1/2 mile hike thrown in. (3 1/2 hour drive up) By the end, we were exhausted but thrilled. Yes, we were gone a little longer than we planned, our spouses were completely understanding.

In short: We had a blast. But I know some people have trouble in groups, or in the wrong groups.

What have been your experiences? Good? Bad? Regularly do this? Favorite runs? Favorite groups?

I have to say geocaching is a great "sport" because you can do it by yourself or w/ a group... Wait... That sounds dirty...... :P

Anyway, Fester, I completely agree w/ you, caching w/ a small group completely rules. As long as the people in your group get along and don't mind if the initial find is sometimes shared..... Some people like to find the caches themselves, me, I like to work as a group to find the cache. Sometimes I find it, sometimes others. AND it's fun messing w/ friends!!!! Like finding it, logging it, and then just standing by it for a few minutes until they notice you're not doing any searching and figure out that you've already found the cache... LOL

The two cachers who went I've known for a while, I invited them along to Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, The APE Cache.

One of my favorite group caching experiences was a whirlwind trip last year to the APE cache (and the original/unoriginal stash caches) from the San Francisco area. The tunnel opened the day before we got there and we had a wonderful time. There are some caches that should be shared -- and certainly that is one of them.

I enjoyed the group hike or bike caching trips I have done all the more because they have been shared. Even though I am shy (like StarBrand) the caching provides a common experience and I have found real friends in the community.

Edited by Erickson