found cache with someone else

TurtleMonkey

HI

Im not sure if this has been answered somewhere on the forums already.

I just recently started geocaching, my dad got me hooked when I went on a family trip and helped him find some caches. What I am wondering is since I now have my own geocaching account could I log those ones as my own find aswell even though I never personally signed the log?

This is a greatly contested subject here on the forums. Some feel the letter of the law is that unless your name is on the log sheet you can't log the claim, no matter what. But not everyone is that strict, so I doubt the cache owners would mind as long as you make some sort of note in your log.

This is a greatly contested subject here on the forums. Some feel the letter of the law is that unless your name is on the log sheet you can't log the claim, no matter what. But not everyone is that strict, so I doubt the cache owners would mind as long as you make some sort of note in your log.

This scenario is not greatly contested. I am not aware of anyone having a problem doing this. Lots of angst over other reasons for someone not signing the log.

Greatly contested?.....lol....I think not. ;)

Feel free to play the game your way. We only have guidelines....no real rules. :D

The website was designed to help you sort out the caches you have found from the caches you haven't. ;)

In our group runs, we tend to log one time with some sort of team name.

If all 17 jeeps were to stop and log the caches, they would end up with full log sheets.

Our group of 40 cachers prefer to log once for the group. Usually the giant group wanders about...taking pictures, trading travelbugs, and dropping off toys for the next cachers to pass thru. B)

What, does no one else remember the last thread about logging without signing? It got ugly in there!

Here in this section of the forum we help the getting started cachers with the basic principles of caching. It's not uncommon for people to ask about logging caches they have found before signing up for an account.

What, does no one else remember the last thread about logging without signing? It got ugly in there!

could you post a link if it is still available, maybe I should read it before loggin them as finds

Really - don't worry about it. Go ahead and log your finds and if any of the cache owners have a problem with it send them here and we will be happy to discuss the concept with them. It is a non-issue. But glad you asked before jumping in and finding out you were doing something off the wall. ;)

Greatly contested?.....lol....I think not. :mad:

That's a different issue. Some people just come into the forums to stir things up. :anibad:

They have been known to feign being mad, and post skewed opinions just to get someones goat. :ph34r::blink:

I know lots of cachers who have gone back and logged finds on caches they found in the past.

Some have changed names, or accounts; Some have finally gotten accounts and now want to get those nearby finds off their 'nearest' lists; some have forgotten to log a few cache finds they found with a friend and just remembered. All these sound like non-issues to me.

There is a broad spectrum of players in this game. Play it your way, and have fun whatever you do. ;)

Edited by ventura_kids