Caches on my 60CSx that I didn't put there

Hello,

while playing with my 60CSx I just noticed something strange. While viewing the waypoints list I opened the menu and selected "Find by Name". Never tried that before. All of a sudden, there are some waypoints which I didn't see while in "Find nearest" mode. As a matter of fact it's not just waypoints, it's geocaches clustering in an area about 30 km away from my home location. I've never read these caches names before and I most certainly didn't send those to my unit. I can tell because I didn't copy any gpx files to the unit so far, just sent a few selected caches to the device using the garmin communicator plugin.

Now, what does that mean? Maybe my unit was in use before I bought it and the memory wasn't sweeped correctly? That would surprise me, however, it seemed untouched to me when I got it, with the sticker still on the display and everything else in the box packaged nicely.

And why are those caches shown only when I select "Find by Name", and not shown when I select "Find nearest"?

It's not connected to the distance, I have sent caches to the device that are further away than the "ghost-caches" and they are shown in both modes as I would expect it.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Pulvertoastmann

And Find Nearest only goes so many miles in radius then stops. So, if those other waypoints are outside that radius you won't see them when using Find Nearest, but you will see them if you start searching by waypoint name, which ignores the radius.

Soooooooooooo, here I was in the wilds oy Wyoming. Plugged co-ords into my primary 60CSX then plugged the same co-ords into a back-up 60Csx. >>>> Co-ords entered into the back-up unit were found on the waypoint screen once and could never be located again. Any Thoughts?? Edited by humboldt flier

And Find Nearest only goes so many miles in radius then stops. So, if those other waypoints are outside that radius you won't see them when using Find Nearest, but you will see them if you start searching by waypoint name, which ignores the radius.

That may well explain why I don't see the "Garmin Taiwan" Waypoint in Find Nearest while it is shown in Find by Name.

But for the mysterious caches, as I explained they cluster in an area approximately 30 km from my current location and are NOT shown in Find Nearest. Two caches, both about 80 km away (which I loaded for a trip last weekend) ARE shown in Find Nearest though, despite the fact they are further away than the ghost-caches.

The Icons, by the way are the regular "closed treasure-box" icons, no parking or other icons. Even if, I never put any caches from the area in question on my unit, so I guess I shouldn't have forgotten to delete them anyway because I didn't put them there in the first place ;)

It's not that im overly concerned with the possibility my unit may have been in use before - somebody may have tried the unit and returned it to the store because he just didn't like it, no reason to throw it in the trashbin as long as it's not damaged or anything - but im terribly curious and want to know where the caches come from ;)

Here are some of the GC numbers:

GC12FA7

GC1H9F2

GC1T36M

GC1TR42

thanks alot guys,

Pulvertoastmann