Jump to content

Problem finding addresses on Oregon, help appreciated


Followers 0

Recommended Posts

When I press on address it asks for state/province first. I live in the UK so don’t have state or province!

Somebody else claimed theirs asks for country instead. Any idea how I can change to this?

Any help appreciated.

Paul

 

As a recent owner of a Dakota 20 I came to such problem today. It's not so important to me. Actually I already had forgot. But now that your brought it back I will follow this topic.

 

I wonder why does it matter what map is loaded. The fact is in the map all the towns, villages and so are shown.

Link to comment

I am having a similar problem with my Oregon 400t (firmware 3.10). I am using Metroguide maps and the maps themselves show up just fine on the GPS. However, when I try and search for an address, I cannot get past the "Type State/Province" page. I've tried every possible spelling of California I could think of. Even different states. Still says "no results found".

 

Landmarks, POI's, Cities can be searched for. I just cannot search for addresses.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
Link to comment

Do you have any other maps than CN Europe installed?

 

The same thing happened to me lately. In my case it was caused by an OpenStreetMap that I compiled from several tiles using sendmap. As soon as I removed that map all was back to normal...

 

Now yes. I downloaded and installed a free topo map of Portugal a few hours ago; but not yesterday, when I tried to locate an address for the first time.

Link to comment

As stated above, this might be caused by one of the maps installed on your device. In my case it was a self-compiled OpenStreetMap.

 

Disabling the maps using the menu of the Oregon does not fix this problem. You actually do have to temporarily remove the map that is causing this from the Oregon. It should be enough to rename it from say test.img to test.tmp.

 

I would recommend to re-install/re-copy/re-name the maps one by one to figure out which one is causing this problem.

 

This should help you to go back from "Type State/Province" to asking for the country again.

Link to comment

As stated above, this might be caused by one of the maps installed on your device. In my case it was a self-compiled OpenStreetMap.

 

Disabling the maps using the menu of the Oregon does not fix this problem. You actually do have to temporarily remove the map that is causing this from the Oregon. It should be enough to rename it from say test.img to test.tmp.

 

I would recommend to re-install/re-copy/re-name the maps one by one to figure out which one is causing this problem.

 

This should help you to go back from "Type State/Province" to asking for the country again.

 

As I said, the first time I tried to search by address, the map was alone in the unit. Hummm but I didn't wrote the name of the country, now that I think about it.

Link to comment

This problem is usually caused by an old or custom map on the unit (as binzi has pointed out). Try backing out your map files one at a time to see if you can get it to work.

 

In my case, correct me if I'm wrong, but those are the latest maps. I think. I'm not familiar with Garmin systems, I just came from Magellan.

Link to comment

City Navigator Europe NT should be fine I think. Are you sure you don't have any other maps installed on your unit?

 

Yeaps, just restarted the process, sent the maps of Portugal to the unit using MapSource. Only maps there, besides original basemap. No Address Search... "Try Adjusting Search Parameters"... by the way... where the hell one does this?

Link to comment

While playing around and trying to recreate your problem I noticed something interesting today:

 

- I had a couple of custom maps on my Oregon such that it would not allow me to search for countries but only for states and provinces.

- I then renamed all foobar.img files (including the basemap) to foobar.old and restarted the device

- for each map I would then reconnect the Oregon to the PC rename one single map file back to .img, unplug and restart the Oregon to see which map did cause the problem

 

Surprisingly I was able to rename all maps to .img without causing the state/province problem. So now I do have all my maps on the unit and I am able to search for countries etc...

 

Seems like it might also depend on the order in which you install your maps.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...