Reset found caches to unfound for pockey query

storm180

I am loaning my gps to someone for the weekend and I pre-loaded some caches in the area they are going. I have done a lot of them in the area so they are all marked as found and don't show up on the gps and one you can select to find. I have a colorado 300 BTW. So I tried loading them into GSAk and removed the found flag from them and reloaded them onto the colorado and the ones I found are still showing that I found them. So is there a flag in the GPX PQ file that needs to be removed in order to show them as unfound?

A workaround I did was to have a friend who hasn't found any in that area run his PQ. There should be a easier way to do this.

Storm180

I am loaning my gps to someone for the weekend and I pre-loaded some caches in the area they are going. I have done a lot of them in the area so they are all marked as found and don't show up on the gps and one you can select to find. I have a colorado 300 BTW. So I tried loading them into GSAk and removed the found flag from them and reloaded them onto the colorado and the ones I found are still showing that I found them. So is there a flag in the GPX PQ file that needs to be removed in order to show them as unfound?

A workaround I did was to have a friend who hasn't found any in that area run his PQ. There should be a easier way to do this.

Storm180

I had a simular experience with a friend of mine when we were camping last month since I had cleared that area out a bit. I personaly don't use GSAK, but instead I use mapsource, (one day I'll update to GSAK). My solution was to create a secondary file on my laptop for the caches in that area, and then just change the icon for my found caches to a closed chest. Saved that new file again, and uploaded to his GPSR. He was able to go after those that I had already found without any problems.

MYater

I did the delete the geocache_vistis.txt file from the colorado but when I did those caches I didn't have a colorado this was like 2 years ago. So that makes no difference. The colordo and the gpx file was showing the caches as found because they are flagged in the PQ. The suggestion about using mapsource and select them to unfound and resave the data would have worked but there was way too many to click on each one and reset.

I did the delete the geocache_vistis.txt file from the colorado but when I did those caches I didn't have a colorado this was like 2 years ago. So that makes no difference. The colordo and the gpx file was showing the caches as found because they are flagged in the PQ. The suggestion about using mapsource and select them to unfound and resave the data would have worked but there was way too many to click on each one and reset.

Walk us through how you load the data into your GPS. Something seems odd here.....

My Colorado will show all caches in the PQ as unfound - no GSAK or anything - I just loas the GPX directly to the colorado:\garmin\gpx folder.

To do this in mapsource, open the my finds query, pan/zoom to the area with the caches you would like to load, and with the selection tool (arrow) drag a box around them. All caches within the box will then be highlighted. Then, click Edit > Waypoint Properties, and change to Unfound Geocache. If you wish to do them all, highlight one cache, then click Edit>Select All, then Edit>Waypoint Properties to change to properties. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds, regardless of how many waypoints there are.

My Colorado will show all caches in the PQ as unfound - no GSAK or anything - I just loas the GPX directly to the colorado:\garmin\gpx folder.

The older firmware (software) for the Colorado did this (I've had mine since March '08)...it was determined to be a bug and was fixed shortly afterward.

Somebody mentioned the solution already...it's controlled by the icon (symbol) in the GPX file; it has nothing to do with the geocache_visits.txt file.

If you open the GPX file you'll see <sym>Geocache</sym> for an unfound cache...I believe the found caches are <sym>Geocache Found</sym>. So, if you open the GPX file in a text editor and perform a simple Find/Replace command you can fix your GPX so all caches are unfound.

To do this in mapsource, open the my finds query, pan/zoom to the area with the caches you would like to load, and with the selection tool (arrow) drag a box around them. All caches within the box will then be highlighted. Then, click Edit > Waypoint Properties, and change to Unfound Geocache. If you wish to do them all, highlight one cache, then click Edit>Select All, then Edit>Waypoint Properties to change to properties. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds, regardless of how many waypoints there are.

If you do the fix in MapSource, rather than simply editing the GPX as I explained above, the GPX will no longer contain all the info from the original GPX file (description, logs, hint, etc)...all you'll have is the name and coordinates.

And, IIRC, exporting that GPX to a Colorado/Oregon will result in the geocaches being loaded as Waypoints rather than Geocaches...so they would have no way to log their finds on the GPS.

I think the easiest way to do this is to open the original GPX file with notepad (or another texteditor). search and replace all the "<sym>Geocache Found</sym>" to "<sym>Geocache</sym>" (without quotes).

I've done this a couple of times, always worked. =)