Compass Page - "Dist. to Next" [Garmin 76CSx]

jeep'g

This is a "newby" question involving my Garmin 76CSx unit. Must I always enter the waypoint of the location that I am physically at before before going to the "Compass Page" and proceeding to my new waypoint? The reason that I ask is that when the "Dist. to Next" is displayed on the "Compass Page", I sometimes get distances that don't make sense.

For example, I may look ahead on the "Map Page" and identify a waypoint that I want to proceed to. When I enter the new waypoint on the "Waypoint Page", I will then high light and press "enter" on the "Go To" field. Then I proceed to the "Compass Page".

I have assumed that the GPS unit automatically knows where I am and calculates the distance from my current position to the new waypoint without the necessity of me specifically entering the location [waypoint]. Am I correct?

Again, the "Dist. to Next" on the "Compass Page" has come up with some distances under such circumstances that do not always make sense.

Your help will be appreciated. :laughing:

For example, I may look ahead on the "Map Page" and identify a waypoint that I want to proceed to. When I enter the new waypoint on the "Waypoint Page", I will then high light and press "enter" on the "Go To" field. Then I proceed to the "Compass Page".

This is correct.

I have assumed that the GPS unit automatically knows where I am and calculates the distance from my current position to the new waypoint without the necessity of me specifically entering the location [waypoint]. Am I correct?

This is correct, the GPS knows where you "are", all you need to do is tell it where you want to go which you mentioned in the previous paragraph.

Again, the "Dist. to Next" on the "Compass Page" has come up with some distances under such circumstances that do not always make sense.

You say the distances don't make sense. How do they not make sense? Are they 20 feet off or 20 miles off? If you don't mind, please give an example.

Thanks "Prime Suspect" -- that may have been what happened. I'll make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

An easy way to avoid moving a waypoint on the map is to just move the arrow near it, then hit the FIND button. You will see a list of waypoints closest to the map arrow, instead of your current position. You can then select the waypoint from the list. It should be at or near the top.