August amnesty

garyhoney

I was wondering if I could appeal to the powers that be to suspend archiving during August based on the not hearing from the owner rule. I have noticed that two of my friends have had their caches archived whilst they are on holiday. Both are in education and so are taking long holidays and so fall foul of the 8 day rule. I should expect that they are not alone in taking 2-3week holidays in August.

Anyway it was just a thought.

Cheers

Gary

I'd have thought that the UK reviewers would take that into account...

If the caches have no prolonged outstanding problems, cachers would have a 'couple of weeks' to sort things out, or at least post a note or email the reviewer with their intentions for the cache...

The 8 day rule was applied, which in August would seem to hit a lot of people who would not be in a position to send emails or post notes.

Edited by garyhoney

I'd have thought that the UK reviewers would take that into account...

If the caches have no prolonged outstanding problems, cachers would have a 'couple of weeks' to sort things out, or at least post a note or email the reviewer with their intentions for the cache...

The 8 day rule was applied, which in August would seem to hit a lot of people who would not be in a position to send emails or post notes.

I see little point in altering the rules just for August. Plenty of folks take long holidays at other times of year, if it needs changing for August it needs cahnging fopr the whole year.

We only use the 'please check your cache or it may be archived' logs on caches that have been out of action for some considerable time and where logs from finders reporting problems are seemingly being ignored by the cache owners. Don't forget that we get emailed any 'needs archived' logs that are posted on caches. If you don't maintain them your cache may get a visit from a passing reviewer ;)

So if you go on holiday leaving your caches in a poor state of repair and come back to find them archived then ..erm... what can I say :laughing:

If it is archived we can indeed consider unarchiving it if you repair or replace it but if it's been out of action for a very long time then probably not!

Post a note on the caches telling people what you are doing with it, that way your friendly passing reviewer will do a quick body swerve and head off into the distance :)

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources

So if you go on holiday leaving your caches in a poor state of repair and come back to find them archived then ..erm... what can I say :laughing:

I was about to get on my high horse when I saw this . Because in one of the examples I had noticed, the cache was disabled in mid July with a note of explanation, then a please reply log was left in early August followed by archiving 8 days later.

Luckily for me I decided to recheck the dates and I noticed a 2008 lurking in the the mid July disabled date ;).

My basis for the August amnesty was that the cache had only been disabled during the preceding month.

So oops, sorry for wasting peoples time and I say NO to an amnesty; let them have it.

PS High horse has been led safely back to its stable