geocache items

ogi clan

I've seen them in many caches. I would say they're fine, as long as they're unused and still sealed in the packaging. The rules are designed to keep cachers (especially small children) from potential injury via dangerous objects in caches. The ones I've found were in small, sealed plastic packs of three to five, just as they would appear on the shelf of a sporting goods store.

I once hid a cache in a fish, but he wouldn't stay at gz so who knows where that bison tube is now... If any one finds it let me know. I been fishin for day trying to get that back.

Just kidding!!! :laughing:

I was wondering if you could put fishing hooks in a cache. :laughing:
Ever seen a tackle box with a jumble of rusty hooks and lures in the bottom? If you're in a wet environment, the inside of the cache WILL get damp at some point, even if it's just because someone opened the ammo can when it was raining. Try to imagine a cache container like that (damp, jumble of rusty and moldy hooks in the bottom), and imagine the 6-year old kid rummaging through the contents before mom & dad can stop him.

But hooks inside the original plastic container, or otherwise protected and isolated, should be fine. Some angler-geocachers love finding new lures and especially hand-tied flies as trade items.

as a geocacher with a child who comes with me and routes through the boxes all i can say by adding my 2 pence worth is if you do, could you makes sure there is no way the hooks can penetrate through and become a sharps risk as i dont want to be out in the middle of nowhere with a child screaming and crying because she has a hook in her finger...

But on a more positive note, it be nice to see lots of new different items in the caches :(

I currently have 2 caches that I own. I have fish hooks in each one of them. Understand, these caches have the theme of being survival items. They are packaged to carry in your pocket. Remember to protect the finder. If I fined something unsafe about the cache or in the cache I do something about it. As a previous post pointed out “if they are in a package” you should be good to go. ;)