need maps for garmin etrex vista hcx

05kas05

which map should i get is there different versions that are better than the others.i live in texas and travel to new mexico so i would like topo for both and street maps for the united states any suggestions would be helpfull thanks

If you have no interest in auto routing with the gps, take a look at gpsfiledepot maps.

I downloaded the Texas Topo (the entire state) from GPSFileDepot to my etrex Vista HCx this weekend. I was surprised that it was full of streets too. Though I'm sure the Garmin City Navigator will have more streets.

I downloaded the Texas Topo (the entire state) from GPSFileDepot to my etrex Vista HCx this weekend. I was surprised that it was full of streets too. Though I'm sure the Garmin City Navigator will have more streets.

Yes, any topo map will display the streets and highways, just the same as road maps will. The diffierence with many (most? ... all?) of the free topo maps out there is that they do not contain the necessary database to search for addresses, intersections and so on. Even some (most?) of the commercial topo products out there do not have the ability to search addresses and intersections.

...ken...

....commercial topo products out there do not have the ability to search addresses and intersections.

FYI (for Ken), the new Topo Canada does do full address and intersection searching as well as routing. It has all of the information in MG Canada this time...

Greetings, your HCx came with a preinstalled basemap, I'm guessing America's Recreational which has basic routing capabilites. It may not find every road and address, it most likely could get ya cross-country. My low cost suggestion would be to download the free topos mentioned above, have the Vista display both the basemap and topo, and try some routing to see how you like it. The topos do display a lot of smaller roads than the basemap, and the two won't match perfectly, but it will give a basic version of what City Navigator can do. Cheers!

....commercial topo products out there do not have the ability to search addresses and intersections.

FYI (for Ken), the new Topo Canada does do full address and intersection searching as well as routing. It has all of the information in MG Canada this time...

Hi Red90,

Thanks. Yes. Wish I had known that was going to happen before I bought the update for Metroguide Canada.

...ken...