Odd HTML situation

H2"O"

I've run into this situation several times. I struggle through the HTML anyway so this is a tough situation for me. I write out the cache description in MS Word, then I test it in an online HTML test bench and all is well. Any links I've included all work and the page looks just the way I want (align, color, size etc). I cut and paste that document into the online cache form, it all looks fine..THEN..when I submit the cache (thankfully, with the reviewer box un-checked) and view it, everthing goes all screwy. I go to "edit" and my carefully constructed HTML document has been butchered with <br>s all over the place and odd characters that I've never seen before. I reconstruct the page and after a few tries get it right. Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening??

gc.com used to use TidyHTML to "clean up" code and suppress certain tags which they did not want to allow. As far as I know, they still do this. This process will reformat your code and make changes to some of it. It can be very frustrating, but there's not much you can do except learn to live with what it changes.

gc.com used to use TidyHTML to "clean up" code and suppress certain tags which they did not want to allow. As far as I know, they still do this. This process will reformat your code and make changes to some of it. It can be very frustrating, but there's not much you can do except learn to live with what it changes.

But the changes completely destroy the page by putting breaks in the middle of sentences and removing my align="center" etc, it's just plain wierd. If I type it directly, I can eventually get it to work, but the cut and paste always seems to get messed up...how would there be a difference there??

But the changes completely destroy the page by putting breaks in the middle of sentences and removing my align="center" etc, it's just plain wierd. If I type it directly, I can eventually get it to work, but the cut and paste always seems to get messed up...how would there be a difference there??

You're starting off with HTML generated by Word. Ever hear of Garbage In, Garbage Out?

See the response posted here, (and please don't spam multiple forums with the same post).

Prime Suspect, I wasn't intending to SPAM multiple forums, I just realized after the first post that it might not be the correct forum for this question. I will sit in the corner for twenty minutes, but thanks again for the info!

I have the same problem. I use MS Word to write out my cache page and usually have to go in after cutting and pasting to reformat the page to look like I want it to. THe funny thing about it is that I do NOT use MS Word to "generate" my HTML...and, as far as I know, MS Word has never had the ability to "generate" any HTML.

Any particular reason why the cache submission page always messes up well-known, easy-to-use tags? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have seen this problem as well. Sometimes when you first enter HTML, even if you check "the descriptions are in HTML" box, Geocaching.com will insert <BR> tags at the end of each line. When I edited the cache page and replace the messed up text with the original text the <BR> is not added.

Does it without using Word or anything else at times too, simply typing directly in. Best solution I have found (somebody on this board suggested it somewhere) is to start your page and do the minimum (coords, D/T), check the "this page contains html" box, submit it like that and then edit after that...

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Cache