leader board

One of our local cachers wrote the owner of the site and received this reply:

Hi Jonas,

Yes I am aware that Google has found a problem with a couple of the many webpages that I have. I have researched the problem and determined that the cause is a script that is running at the webhosting company that is injecting the malwasre into those webpages. I have opened a trouble ticket with them and have fixed the two webpages. You can access the clean webpages by entering http://www.cacherstats.com in the address line of your browser, not the google search part.

Cache on,

Grand High Pobah/Brady Nellis

These stats also include people who fudge they're finds, so it is not completely accurate. How about a stat on who can remember the most finds.

That's funny. Just a few weeks ago I did a trip with the family. The GPSr shows a find, the tracklog shows we searched, but looking at the satillite photo, nothing rang a bell when we went to log it a couple days later.

I actually posted a note stating as much and if the next finder does not see our names in the log, I'll delete it.

We got an email shortly thereafter that our names were in the log... must not have been that exciting of a cache to remember. I felt kinda bad too.

Any update to this?

Working for me now. Strangely, the javascript is still there, and looks identical. So either the problem is in the back end, or it was misdiagnosed.

Appears to have been misdiagnosed. Problem was evidently not in the page itself, but a counter page for which the cache stats page contained a link.

The warning is back again this morning.

Jim

FYI - the page owner has HIS head screwed on straight about this -- the problem is the junk being appended by the hosting site. Owner now has a mechanism in place that should replace the goofed up page(s) with clean one(s) when they're detected. If quick enough, this should prevent future warnings.

by the way, i am not "statophobic"; i find stats interesting.

however, i find the STORY much more interesting and i think too many people wish to substitute stats for story.

every time i meet a cacher who wants to know my find count, i answer vaguely and excuse myself from the conversation quickly.

my numbers are important to me. if my numbers are important to you, i consider you to be suspect just as much as i would if my income, my weight, or the size of my squishy bits were important to you.

I also find stats interesting (at least those that relate to me) and I keep them on my page because it is a convenient place to do so. We primarily use it at this point to track our oldest caches and to track our grid. Once I get my act together, we will track our beaver caches as well. Also we adore our little badges.

As to the story, what sort of thing do you desire here? In my life, the public parts about me are pretty dull and the exciting parts are private. So I don't tend to reveal much on a public board. If you met me I'd reveal more. If you were a close friend, even more. And if you were sleeping with me I'd spill everything. But since you're not sleeping with me and not a close friend, I'm not certain why you would want to know the dull portions of my life.

As to the size of my squishy bits, I've actually never met anyone who asked me that question. I am now wondering if this is a statistic I should be tracking in my life. Does everyone else know the size of their squishy bits? :D

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

I think stats can be fun if it's not the only reason to Cache. I like how you can see peoples cache discoveries by state and region. It gives you a window into the travels and offers up opportunities to ask people about specific places to cache if you are visiting someplace on vacation.