Caches 'along a route'

Radiowaves

On your profile page - off on the right hand side - there is a link for "create a route". Go there and type in the starting spot and ending spot. The page will generate a route for you. Then you can click on the route and drag it to new locations to customize for the way you want to drive. Save it and run a PQ on it. Simple enough!!

Since they asked a similar question.....

I created a route for a day of quick grabs. Adjusted the route line to the roads I wanted. Generated the pocket query. And was off and driving with my brother. Until midway, he said there was a cache closer than I had on my list. He had one the route pocket query didn't.

Looking at the route edit, I am assuming the blue line is the route and the gray band is the inclusion area, and my missing cache was part way in the gray area. Only there is nothing in it and nothing I set changes that. I am assuming "Search Radius" and "Show me" change this. With no help links on any of the features, I can only spend a lot of time guessing and testing. But it doesn't seem to work. And in some views, the blue line is covered by the gray band, so disappears. So I am wondering if this works, but the inclusion area is permanently only a few feet off the route line.

I hope someone can tell me what is going on, or what I need to do differently.

Thanks,

Rick D.

Further to Starbrands advice, I created a route, adjusted it then created a PQ. The results though are all over the place ie the first cache on the page is half way along the route, the 20th is at the start of the route & the other caches are everywhere in between - is this how it is supposed to work? Or should they appear in order starting from the beginning of the journey?

Further to Starbrands advice, I created a route, adjusted it then created a PQ. The results though are all over the place ie the first cache on the page is half way along the route, the 20th is at the start of the route & the other caches are everywhere in between - is this how it is supposed to work? Or should they appear in order starting from the beginning of the journey?

Thats how it works - there is no real order to them. Your GPS can show you the caches nearest to you at any point along the route.

Or..

You can drop the PQ in Google Earth and it will show all the caches along the path chosen.

Since they asked a similar question.....

I created a route for a day of quick grabs. Adjusted the route line to the roads I wanted. Generated the pocket query. And was off and driving with my brother. Until midway, he said there was a cache closer than I had on my list. He had one the route pocket query didn't.

Looking at the route edit, I am assuming the blue line is the route and the gray band is the inclusion area, and my missing cache was part way in the gray area. Only there is nothing in it and nothing I set changes that. I am assuming "Search Radius" and "Show me" change this. With no help links on any of the features, I can only spend a lot of time guessing and testing. But it doesn't seem to work. And in some views, the blue line is covered by the gray band, so disappears. So I am wondering if this works, but the inclusion area is permanently only a few feet off the route line.

I hope someone can tell me what is going on, or what I need to do differently.

Thanks,

Rick D.

Well, playing with more, Its obvious to me that parts of this do not yet work. Search radius has no effect..all caches included are ON the route only. After creating the pocket query from the User Route, you have to click on the first item in the preview, then show map, and manually make a list of caches along the route. Not very good for loading into gps or pdas, but its something. Maybe it will get fixed.

Rick

Well, playing with more, Its obvious to me that parts of this do not yet work. Search radius has no effect..all caches included are ON the route only.

I created a route recently and use a large radius (5 or 6 miles) and it worked just fine for me.

Not sure what you mean by "ON the route" because I seriously doubt any of the caches in your results were hidden ON the road...usually they're at least 5-10 feet off the road, unless everything in your result was a guard rail hide.

Hi Fegan, Could you make that route public so we can check it out. I have not been able to find one that included all the caches that it should include although another thread here suggests some methods that might get you close. Raine appears to be stumped (see other thread on this for documentation on that) so if you have one that actually returns all the caches its supposed to, then that might be an important data point in getting the problem resolved.

Hi Fegan, Could you make that route public so we can check it out. I have not been able to find one that included all the caches that it should include although another thread here suggests some methods that might get you close. Raine appears to be stumped (see other thread on this for documentation on that) so if you have one that actually returns all the caches its supposed to, then that might be an important data point in getting the problem resolved.

In addition to making the route (Bartow to Duette) public, I've included some screen shots here.

The complete route:

Bartow2Duette1.jpg

Zoomed in while editing to show the shading of the approximate radius:

Bartow2Duette2.jpg

Note the caches to the Northwest of Alafia River State Park and to the West/Southwest of the end of the route:

Bartow2Duette3.jpg

Since I've already found some caches along this route, made the trip on Sunday, they are now missing from the PQ results because I have "I Haven't Found" selected in the PQ settings. So there's a handful of caches missing near the end of my route (the Red marker).

I'm seeing similar problems with searching along routes. I have a variety of PQs, some based on simple waypoints and some based on routes. Some overlap, e.g. two waypoint based PQs called Around Work, and Around Home each provide the expected number of caches, and overlap with a route-based PQ, "Home to work", which has a nice wide radius returns virtually no caches where I would've expected at least the sum of the 2 point PQs.

I've prepared a simple test to try and demonstrate the problem that I'm seeing. I've created a simple route with only 2 points, just over 9Km apart that track a fairly straight road near home called Blackburn Road. I've made the route public, it's callled "Blackburn Rd Test-simp.kml", and has Blackburn as a keyword. I've created a PQ with virtually no restrictions but with a 4.5Km radius of search. I've also created 2 other PQs, one for each of the end points of the route. I've kept the same restrictions and same radius on these PQs. The point PQ for the southern point (corner blackburn Rd and Wellington Rd) produces 19 caches. The Northern one (Corner Blackburn and Canterbury Rds) produces 39 caches.

Note that in choosing the radius for the Route PQ, I've effectively recreated the same 2 nearly touching circles of the simple PQs. I would therefore expect the route-based PQ to return at least 58 caches plus more in the missing triangles. It actually returns 0.

:D

I don't know if it's in any way related, but I can't enable/disable any of the attributes searching in the route based PQs.