Best maps for Oregon 300

I have a Oregon 300 with just the base map on it and I would like to upgrade the map. So my question is for geocaching what is the be upgraded map the TOPO or the City Nav.? I was going to download from filedepot but if looks like you have to have a mapsource already in order to download from them. Thanks for any help you can give me.

You do need Mapsource or another FREE uploader to load any maps (unless you get them on a card), so that's not a problem. For caching I'd go with Topo, just be aware that the streets on them just aren't as good. I never tried filedepot, but I have Ibycus free Topo maps as well as Garmin's Topo Canada. The Ibycus map features are prettier and well-labeled, but the maps are slower to redraw on my eTrex Venture and street routing isn't possible compared to Garmin's Topo maps which are faster and routable. Garmin now has the new Canadian Topo maps for the Oregon if that's where you live. Hope this helps. - Paul

I have a Oregon 300 with just the base map on it and I would like to upgrade the map. So my question is for geocaching what is the be upgraded map the TOPO or the City Nav.? I was going to download from filedepot but if looks like you have to have a mapsource already in order to download from them. Thanks for any help you can give me.

You can download the Mapsource upgrade directly from Garmin. It will only work if you already have one of their map products.

That said, you can download Training Center from Garmin directly with no restrictions on use. You can then download Mapsource and it "sees" Training Center as one of the required map products.

Convoluted, but it works nicely.

You can then download maps from GPSFileDepot and load them to your GPS via Mapsource.

Again, kind of convoluted, but free is free...

My first GPS was the Oregon 300, and I got the Topo 2008 and City Navigator 2009. I went with the 300 over the 400t since I heard there were some differences between the preloaded topo and the DVD topo. So the cost of the for that was a wash. The City Navigator was expensive but worth it. I loaded both of them onto an external SD card which is where I kept all my geocaching information. I believe if you do the downloads, you have to download to an external SD card, and it can only be used on that one card.

For geocaching you need the City Navigator to show the road details as well as the navigation aspect of it. When I upgraded to the 550t, the first few days I used it without the City Navigator, and it was lacking in details when I zoomed in. I had to purchase another one since I couldn't transfer the one from my 300 (a long and detailed story covered in another thread).

Edited by ivhs72

Thanks for the answers.

Jotne I am in the US. Sam it looks like what you said has worked now I just have to get home and download some maps to make sure everything does work.

So it would be best to get a card and put the maps on there then? Should i get a 8GB or whatever is the biggest card so i have ample room for the maps?

Remember, the max = +- 4Gb or 500 Map tiles TOTAL

This can be separate maps or 1 only map but not more.

So, even a SD bigger then 4Gb is only useful if you gone put other than mapdata on it and you're stretching the maplimit.

Edited by splashy