Can Mega-Event-Status be revoked?

Atti

Hi,

I was wondering if Groupdspeak revokes the Megacache icon if there are lots of Geocachers deleting their "will attend"-logs?

In Germany we currently have this GPS Festival (GC1Q2XM) in September and due to bad marketing and information policy regarding the caching community many cachers who announced to participate earlier have deleted their will attend logs. The number of participants has already dropped significantly from over 500 to currently 432 just over night.

So I'm a bit curious: what's the magic number so a mega isn't mega anymore or is it once Mega always Mega even if all cachers decide to stay away?

Regards

Atti

Not everyone who posts a "Will Attend" actually attends, and not everyone who attends posts a "Will Attend". Also, there are usually lots of attendees at such events that never actually log it (family, friends, team members, etc.). Even as few as 400 "Attended" logs would probably still result in over 500 people actually on site.

Day-of estimates (based on food served, cars parked, rough head-counts, etc.) at Geowoodstock VII had over 5000 people at the event, but two months after the fact there are still only 1335 "Attended" logs.

Since you already got the event pre-certified as a "Mega" you're good to go unless no-one actually shows up.

So what is the deal with this one? I've never seen "Temporarily Disabled" on an event cache before.

The event was organized by an professional company.

No fees were mentioned in the listing.

suddenly every part of the show seems to cost lots of money.

seems to be to commercial for the community! :D

the listing was changed a few times to mention the costs but only in a hasty way to calm down the angry people. didnt work though.

you can try to sroll down to the english description! :laughing:

Edited by wallace&gromit

Not everyone who posts a "Will Attend" actually attends, and not everyone who attends posts a "Will Attend". Also, there are usually lots of attendees at such events that never actually log it (family, friends, team members, etc.). Even as few as 400 "Attended" logs would probably still result in over 500 people actually on site.

Day-of estimates (based on food served, cars parked, rough head-counts, etc.) at Geowoodstock VII had over 5000 people at the event, but two months after the fact there are still only 1335 "Attended" logs.

Since you already got the event pre-certified as a "Mega" you're good to go unless no-one actually shows up.

So, if my assumption is right it will stay as a mega event even if less then 100 geocachers are joining finally ? interesting. However, we will see the descision of Groundspeak, it seems they are in contact with the owners now to ask why suddenly a kind of fee appeared for all of the add. parts of the event

My understanding is that Mega Event status is only definitive when there's a log book with 500 signatures. For a family-oriented event this could correspond to not many more than 250 "attended" logs, if for every two people who come alone there's also a couple and a family of four. For something geeky like this GPS Festival sounds, there might only be something 1.4 people per team, so you'd need 350 "attended" logs.

Provisional Mega Event status is granted before the event if you can convince Groundspeak that you are "highly likely" to get those 500 signatures in the log book. It's not given out lightly, partly because I'm sure Groundspeak doesn't want to go round "stripping" events of their Mega status. Ask anyone who has organised their first Mega event. :(