nothing for nokia 5800?

hakz

I've used Geocaching Navigator with my 5800 for a few caches now, both the free version and now the paid one.

The main problem for me from the free version was that I couldn't save any details of caches at home using my wireless network, and so had to use contract wap (not a massive biggie, just slower). Also that I couldn't enter coordinates manually as it didn't support touch screen phones.

However, with the paid-for version, both of these points disappear. Which is nice.

Tracking wise, it is more accurate than the in-built location/navigation software, but can still get quite jumpy under even light tree cover.

Handy features of the "offline" mode are that you can create lists and then it downloads all information about the cache to the phone (including hint, which you can display by way of a menu option)

For 15 euros, you can't really go wrong. Its nice to constantly have a geocaching capable gps on me at all times, instead of having a phone and a gpsr unit.

Edited by GennySPAFF

This can be used with or without gps and should work with most symbian s60 3rd phones like Nokia 5800.

Only Nokia 5800 is not a Symbian S60 3rd but 5th :-)

Yeah, you are right about that! But 5800 is still supported;)

see list of supported devices from live's website. http://live.geocaching.com/guide/

It says

"Tested devices (by the order of popularity)

Nokia: E71, N95, E90, E75,E51, 6110 Navigator, N73, 6120 Classic, E66, E65, NokiaE70, N96, N82, E50, E61i, E61, N70, N78, 6220 Classic, 6210 Navigator, 5800, 5500, N85, N79, N71, E60, 6630, N93, N92,N80, N76, 6121 Classic, 5320

Sony Ericsson: C702, C905, C760, W760, W715. W890, P11

Samsung: SGH-i900, SGH-G810, i8910 HD"

Edited by small oaks

Try some freeware called SmartGPX (easy find on Google). I use it, and an add on also availble from the smartgpx site, on my S60 V5 Samsung i8910 HD. Never had any problems with it at all and it's a great bit of software.

I have that installed but I use other things for paperless Geocaching; what I would like to have for Nokia 5800 was something with a compass to point me the way.

Try some freeware called SmartGPX (easy find on Google). I use it, and an add on also availble from the smartgpx site, on my S60 V5 Samsung i8910 HD. Never had any problems with it at all and it's a great bit of software.

I have that installed but I use other things for paperless Geocaching; what I would like to have for Nokia 5800 was something with a compass to point me the way.

Hi I use the nokia 5800 and use the geocaching live software, it works fine and you can change the mode to act like a compass pointing the direction to the swag. I do have unlimited data which helps for downloading the maps etc.

Adam

Hi I use the nokia 5800 and use the geocaching live software, it works fine and you can change the mode to act like a compass pointing the direction to the swag. I do have unlimited data which helps for downloading the maps etc.

Adam

Well, we don't need Internet connection to use our GPS units, right? All software I tried so far to Nokia's need an Internet connection (translation: costs money) to fully work.

Adam

Well, we don't need Internet connection to use our GPS units, right? All software I tried so far to Nokia's need an Internet connection (translation: costs money) to fully work.

I use Geocache Navigator by Trimble on my Nokia 5800. Its great for paperless caching, but I use it together with my Garmin, which is more accurate under tree cover etc. Navigator does need internet to access the Geocaching site. Sorry, I'm not very techie, but it works for me! :D

Any news on trimbles geocache navigator for the Nokia 5800? Or an equivalent app?

:):blink::blink: Downloaded this software for my Nokia 5800 had to fiddle around to learn how to use it, It works really well the only trouble I have is that the screen keeps shutting off every minute or so. also you have to have an internet connection up and running which works out at £5 per month.Very accurate