What do you do when a log is almost gone?

kendrick0861

Hello, had a question about logs, not in the small or larger caches I mean the micro-nano's. I found a nano today and in the bottom it had rusted, the rust had gotten into the paper and disolved the bottom half of the log. Worse yet it made the tiny paper inside swell so it was very difficult to even take it out.

I was sure that I could not get the paper back in w/o damaging it further. Here is my dilema, I made a new log from some paper that I had on me, that paper fit nicely and I was able to close the cache back up. The rust however I could not remove totally. I feel like I did something there that i should not have done (me taking the original log out and replacing it w/o putting the original back). I did not throw away the original log and I did contact the cache owner about what I did. The original i have in a plastic bag, most of the logs there are unreadable but i kept everything anyways at least until i recieve some kind of contact from the owner.

Did I do the right thing or should I have done something else? :o