Placing New Cache

dwpsco

Awhile back I wanted place a cache at a certain location, got it all ready went to post it and discovered someone had beat me to the location! Darn it! Well it was a good cache, but now it is archived. So my question is what the rules for placing a diffrent cache on the same hill top, but diffrent coords (maybe 50' away), and diffrent container, where a archived cache was?

Thanks is advance!

DWPSCO

So my question is what the rules for placing a diffrent cache on the same hill top, but diffrent coords (maybe 50' away), and diffrent container, where a archived cache was?
Archived caches don't count against the saturation guidelines. You can put a new cache in exactly the same spot as an archived cache, as long as no new caches have been placed within 528' since it was archived.
So my question is what the rules for placing a diffrent cache on the same hill top, but diffrent coords (maybe 50' away), and diffrent container, where a archived cache was?
Archived caches don't count against the saturation guidelines. You can put a new cache in exactly the same spot as an archived cache, as long as no new caches have been placed within 528' since it was archived.

In some cases it is possible to use the same coordinates and even the same cache container. We are aware of a few caches that were archived by the owner and then "placed" again using the same container and coordinates. (Yes, there are several valid, but not very common, reasons for doing this, but since we don't want to divert the subject of this thread, we won't mention them.)

We would suggest, however, that you attempt to find out WHY the cache was archived. Often the previous cache owner will give some indication in the archiving log. It not, we recommmend trying to contact them directly. With additional details you may change you mind about attempting a cache at that location or, better yet, you may be able to create a better cache by avoiding any problems encountered by the previous cache owner.

[We would suggest, however, that you attempt to find out WHY the cache was archived. Often the previous cache owner will give some indication in the archiving log. It not, we recommmend trying to contact them directly. With additional details you may change you mind about attempting a cache at that location or, better yet, you may be able to create a better cache by avoiding any problems encountered by the previous cache owner.

Yes. I would be very curious as to why the previous cache was archived. Cache owner moved out of state? Muggles party there every weekend? Cache was out in the open? Throw-away cache? (Film canister in the bushes?) Many variables.

I still need to hunt for the third manifestation of a cache in a remote. but spectacular area of NYC. The first did not seem to be maintained. The second was, bizarrely, hidden in an abandoned men's room. Plenty of opportunities to hide a good cache there, that will survive. I haven't checked it out yet.