How Do You Best Get Permission To Place A Cache?

There’s a place I like where there should be at least a micro. But there’s no cache listed -- it’s a void. Maybe the owners are so tough, they don’t give permission, or simply nobody has asked yet. So, I need to get serious and give it my best shot.

There are some tacks that could be used to sway the permission decision. What’s a good method? I could tell them about “Cache-In-Trash-Out”, or just tell them about how Geocaching in general may improve their visitor numbers. What is the best selling point, that I might emphasize?

Is there a fact sheet that I could print out for them to review?

Edited by kunarion
I could tell them about “Cache-In-Trash-Out”,
We're not a garbage company. If the area needs cleaning up offer to hold a CITO event. If the owner doesn't feel the area is trashy mentioning CITO might insult him.

or just tell them about how Geocaching in general may improve their visitor numbers.
Not all owner want a whole lot of folks visiting. The first mention of an "internet game" could close him down immediately and hard.

Let's back up to your first statement:

There’s a place I like where there should be at least a micro. But there’s no cache listed -- it’s a void.
Why would you like to put a cache there? Is it simply because there is a void? If so, walk away. But, if the part "There’s a place I like where..." is true, a place you'd like to take a friend for no other reason than to show him the spot, then it would be worth the effort.

...and a starting point.

What is the best selling point, that I might emphasize?
I don't know what qualities this spot hold, but if it is an interesting spot, then simply approach the owner with queries about the spot. Show you're interested in the area, curious about whatever features you think might it a good draw. After you build a bit of rapport, then it would be time for the "say, you know this would be a good spot for a geocache. Never heard of geocaching? Let me tell you about it." Don't be like an Amway salesman, but simply mention it as a way to show off his little gem in this world to a few of your friends.

So, you're not really "selling" the hobby, but his spot.

There’s a place I like where there should be at least a micro. But there’s no cache listed -- it’s a void. Maybe the owners are so tough, they don’t give permission, or simply nobody has asked yet. So, I need to get serious and give it my best shot.

There are some tacks that could be used to sway the permission decision. What’s a good method? I could tell them about “Cache-In-Trash-Out”, or just tell them about how Geocaching in general may improve their visitor numbers. What is the best selling point, that I might emphasize?

Is there a fact sheet that I could print out for them to review?

The above is hardly very succinct in nature, which begs me to have you think about the following (since it was what I was thinking)

Have you spoken to other local cachers as to why?

Checked if anything has been archived?

Why is it so special to you or why would you want to take people there?

Cache in trash out, why would: 1-owners want people hauling out garbage, sporadically, off their property. 2 why would geocachers want to to go into a garbage strewn area and haul out garbage?

And, If the area is owned by individuals/corporation you may want to ensure that this would not be seen as a commercial cache ie: advertising a store, restaurant, etc. Make sure its not.

Cache in trash out, why would: 1-owners want people hauling out garbage, sporadically, off their property. 2 why would geocachers want to to go into a garbage strewn area and haul out garbage?

All these replies give me tons of considerations to ponder. But aren't archived caches visible on the map? Yet another thing to research.

I thought noting the CITO policy would be a great way to introduce the Geocaching culture's concern for nature. Particularly if the park is already spotless. Then there'd be no way it could be interpreted as either 1) An offer to clean the place up, nor 2) Be an unfair expectation of Cachers.

... I hope.

About why I thought about hiding a cache:

I've found a bunch of new little parks I'd never heard of, just because I was Geocaching -- maybe people would benefit from the coordinates to another new place. And there are several great local parks and little getaways in this area that I enjoy visiting. Most have a cache or two, so finding those will be a cool new adventure for me in a familiar place. One exception is Starr's Mill, which has only an archived cache. Now I've expanded the search to just about every spot, and there's one favorite day trip that's empty (the void). I just thought it would be an interesting thing to place a cache. I'm not running out there today to do that. With all the research and emailing I now have piling up, it's not an urgent thing.

I have no intention of interfering with any other caches that are currently being approved -- honestly, I think at some point I'd be informed whether or not I can actually place a cache, even if I've never heard about multi- or puzzle caches.

My original question was how to succeed in getting a landowner's permission, avoiding the pitfalls that others had encountered. And I appreciate the input!

Edited by kunarion

Since you live in Georgia, you might want to check out the GA Cache Guidelines

Looks like permissions in Georgia can be rather spotty. I expect that there may be issues finding out just who's in charge of any given area (City, County, etc.). I saw the cache density in Fayette County, and guessed it wasn't difficult to get permission most anywhere. Thanks, I'll check around.

All these replies give me tons of considerations to ponder. But aren't archived caches visible on the map? Yet another thing to research.

I have no intention of interfering with any other caches that are currently being approved -- honestly, I think at some point I'd be informed whether or not I can actually place a cache, even if I've never heard about multi- or puzzle caches.

My original question was how to succeed in getting a landowner's permission, avoiding the pitfalls that others had encountered. And I appreciate the input!

Archived caches aren't visible on the map, nor do they appear in search results. Archived caches were mentioned because of the possibility of that there a cache or caches may have once been placed in that "void" and the reason that they're archived was because the land manager asked them to be removed.

In the case of mulit or puzzle (unknown) caches you will only see the "published" coordinates on a map or in search results. The finale of a multi, or actual coordinates of the container may actually be located within that "void" you've found. You may want to try and find any nearby multi and puzzle caches to confirm. As a general guideline the actual location for a puzzle cache should be within 2 miles but a multi cache could be spread out a significant distance (there is one near me where the first stage is 12 miles from the 2nd (final) stage) and there are still a few older puzzle caches around where the actual cache is more than 2 miles away.

Since this will be your first cache placement, perhaps the best place to start is to contact your local reviewer (look at the listing for a nearby cache, then look at the first log...that will be your reviewer). Tell them where you are considering placing a cache and ask them if there are any known issues about placing a cache there. He or She might be aware of land manager issues and would know if there were proximity issues with finals of a multi/puzzle cache. Even if your local reviewer can't provide any additional information about the location at the very least you'll have started a dialog which can only make it easier to work with your local reviewer in the future.

Assuming that you know who the land manager is, you're best approach may to be try and contact them face to face. You can print off some information about geocaching, print off a couple of nearby cache listings to show how it works, and bring along a couple of containers (with logbooks, stash note, & swag) so they know what you'll be placing on the property they own/manage. Rather than suggest a CITO event on they're property you can include a listing for a CITO event as a demonstration of a type of "cache".

Archived caches aren't visible on the map, nor do they appear in search results.

That's right. The ones I see are grayed-out "deactivated".

About all the confusion about my CITO statement: When I mentioned that "Cache-In-Trash-Out" is a selling point, I think from the above replies I was interpreted as asking if I should tell the landowner, "I'm coming into this park with the whole gang to clean up this cesspool and can I have a cache here?" What I actually meant to type was that I think it would be good to mention that "Geocachers are generally respectful of nature". Hope that clarifies my intent. I apologize for the vagueness.

Once I come to a decision on cache placement, I'll contact a reviewer as you suggest. It just makes sense, because I can't know which caches aren't there (the archived, or pending ones). I posted a separate topic about cache placement protocol (at least I thought it was a separate issue). It sorta deviated into an interrogation, and then into advice on the things to do besides asking permission -- neither of which is a bad thing. I feel like I got my money's worth in this discussion. :o

Edited by kunarion