Advice Needed

I started this thread because we have problem. We put out a cache a *week* ago and no one has found it. Its a tricky one... easy to find but you cannot log the find if you get caught by muggles.

OK. So its sort of a hide-and-seek cache. That is, it is on property we own, but away from our house far enough that someone could get to it without being seen by us.

Did we make a cache that is too creepy like going on private property? Is it that there are always cars nearby (albeit untagged or inoperable ones and sometimes running tagged vehicles also?)

Is the FTF not good enough?

Do we live too far from any active geocachers? Do cachers come and just say, "Whew! I'm not attempting that one"?

Is it because it is listed as a hybrid traditional letterbox and no one looks for those?

Ducky Island Retreat

What should I do to get it into the mainstream? Ordinarily, we have some purty good competition for FTFs around here.

Thanks

This part sounds like an ALR and I wonder how it got published?

I should look it up. What is an ALR? (Associate of Lame Retrocaches?)

See I'm so newbie.

Additional Logging Requirement (emphasis mine):

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

If it is appropriate for your cache location or theme, you may ask the cache seeker to accomplish an optional and simple task, either close to the cache site (normally within 0.1 miles or 161 meters) or when writing their online log. For example, wear the goofy hat inside the cache container and upload a photograph. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish optional tasks. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

This guideline change applies immediately to all logs written from April 4, 2009 and going forward.

That's what they're referencing...

but you cannot log the find if you get caught by muggles.

See I'm so newbie.

ALR is additional logging requirement.

I'm guessing that since it's a letterbox hybrid, it's not in the mainstream.

I don't even know what a letterbox hybrid is but I filter them out of my pocket queries.

See I'm so newbie.

Additional Logging Requirement (emphasis mine):

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

If it is appropriate for your cache location or theme, you may ask the cache seeker to accomplish an optional and simple task, either close to the cache site (normally within 0.1 miles or 161 meters) or when writing their online log. For example, wear the goofy hat inside the cache container and upload a photograph. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish optional tasks. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

This guideline change applies immediately to all logs written from April 4, 2009 and going forward.

That's what they're referencing...

Aha. So, I should change that to say, "If you're caught you can't sign the log." That's what's keeping people away. Its too.... seems too tough for the approach. Eh?

Probably not an ALR. I'm assuming that the OP plans to catch the finder before they sign the log. If you didn't let some log the cache because you caught them after they signed the log then it would be an ALR.

Incidentally, I would recommend that you be somewhat careful with this cache anyway. It should be relatively safe, but it might be a good idea to post something to the effect that people shouldn't search for the cache after dark. I imagine your neighbors might get rather perturbed finding that someone was out rummaging around in your yard searching for the cache at night with a flashlight, and I wouldn't want you or another cacher to have to deal with law enforcement showing up and harassing anyone needlessly.

As for the ALR, I would drop it altogether and, instead, invite people to come up and say hi. It would probably make the cache much more inviting.

Probably not an ALR. I'm assuming that the OP plans to catch the finder before they sign the log. If you didn't let some log the cache because you caught them after they signed the log then it would be an ALR.

I would think by definition that the cache owner, or anyone that knows about the cache, can't be a 'muggle'. But that's just my interpretation.

kathytibbits: I would not attempt this if you would deny that I could log it if 'caught'...whether you had people 'watching' for finders or not. It just doesn't seem right.

I would think by definition that the cache owner, or anyone that knows about the cache, can't be a 'muggle'. But that's just my interpretation.

kathytibbits: I would not attempt this if you would deny that I could log it if 'caught'...whether you had people 'watching' for finders or not. It just doesn't seem right.

OK. Thanks everyone. I'm going to amend the listing, taking out the "don't get caught" requirement and changing it to just a regular cache. Also, I just waypointed the coordinates about 5 times and can get just a few feet more precise by averaging these because I think the satellites are being blocked. No visual neighbors that close, but I'll add not after dark. We'd better decline about inviting people to stop by to say hi since we're nudists. <just kidding. really. (Friedrick is saying Fluff, that is so not funny.)> Again, Thanks all!

OK. Thanks everyone. I'm going to amend the listing, taking out the "don't get caught" requirement and changing it to just a regular cache. Also, I just waypointed the coordinates about 5 times and can get just a few feet more precise by averaging these because I think the satellites are being blocked. No visual neighbors that close, but I'll add not after dark. We'd better decline about inviting people to stop by to say hi since we're nudists. <just kidding. really. (Friedrick is saying Fluff, that is so not funny.)> Again, Thanks all!

I had a look at the listing and would suggest that you make it clear that your neighbors know about the cache. I have no problem hunting caches on private property but I don't want to have the neighbors calling the police when they see me in your backyard.

I have a popular travel bug hotel in my driveway. The driveway is shared by two other households and can be seen from two additional houses. Everyone knows about the cache and enjoy seeing cachers try to act stealthy even though I state on the cache page that everyone knows about it.

I started this thread because we have problem. We put out a cache a *week* ago and no one has found it. Its a tricky one... easy to find but you cannot log the find if you get caught by muggles.

OK. So its sort of a hide-and-seek cache. That is, it is on property we own, but away from our house far enough that someone could get to it without being seen by us.

Did we make a cache that is too creepy like going on private property? Is it that there are always cars nearby (albeit untagged or inoperable ones and sometimes running tagged vehicles also?)

Is the FTF not good enough?

Do we live too far from any active geocachers? Do cachers come and just say, "Whew! I'm not attempting that one"?

Is it because it is listed as a hybrid traditional letterbox and no one looks for those?

Ducky Island Retreat

What should I do to get it into the mainstream? Ordinarily, we have some purty good competition for FTFs around here.

Thanks

Don't fret. Give it a while. Just look at the other caches in the area and see that things slowed down a bit in the area. Maybe its the summer heat, or other factors. Give it time.

Don't fret. Give it a while. Just look at the other caches in the area and see that things slowed down a bit in the area. Maybe its the summer heat, or other factors. Give it time.

Exactly what I was going to say. This cache is pretty well isolated, anyway, but when you look at the last found dates for nearby caches, most of those were found prior to this cache being published. Give it time.