Tool dip for weather-proofing containers.

I'm not sure why you would need it unless you are using containers made of paper or cloth.

Plastic containers (which account for the vast majority of geocaching containers) shouldn't need an extra layer of waterproofing because plastic is already waterproof. Any leakage comes from around the lid and plastic dip won't help that.

I can tell you that the stuff doesn't adhere well. I've used it on tool handles and it peels off fairly quickly.

Edited by briansnat

It might help a metal container last a bit longer, but I don't see it adding significantly to the life.

Really solidly built containers (ammo boxes, and others designed to be left in the elements) are, of course, already weather proof to an extent. They'll tend to rust the worst when the get damaged (scrapped, dented, etc.) and if that happens this plastic coating will get ripped or damaged and expose the metal anyway. You might see maybe a 10% longer life (maybe), but I've got an ammo box that has been out for YEARS had has a cider block resting on top that scraps it occasionally and it's still in very good shape. A little rust on the outside, but otherwise perfect. In other words, I wouldn't say it was worth it.

On poorly built containers (Altoids tins, and others NOT designed to be left in the elements) you'd see a definite lengthening of life, *IF* you can coat the whole contain and ensure that the coating isn't scraped away. However, this would be very hard if not impossible to do. I can't see how you could coat the inside effectively and if you just coat the outside and the box isn't weather sealed, it'll just rust from the inside out. Even if you do find a way to coat the inside and outside, you probably aren't going to be able to coat where the lid closes as this is already a tight fit. Which means it'll just start rusting there. Even if you are able to coat the whole thing, I can't see that it'll last long without getting scrapped, torn, or ripped off. You might see a 10% longer life (maybe), but the life of these things is so short anyway, it's like taking a hamster to the vet. Cheaper and much less hassle to get a new container than try to length the life of the existing.

I'm not sure why you would need it unless you are using containers made of paper or cloth.

Plastic containers (which account for the vast majority of geocaching containers) shouldn't need an extra layer of waterproofing because plastic is already waterproof. Any leakage comes from around the lid and plastic dip won't help that.

I can tell you that the stuff doesn't adhere well. I've used it on tool handles and it peels off fairly quickly.

I'm kind of thinking of something resulting in a covering that looks like the Acorn Log Ornament they sell in the Groundspeak shop.

acorn_144x144.jpg

...but encasing a bison tube type container. The coating on the lid would need to overlap the lower section. I'm trying to come up with a better solution to constantly replacing the rubber o-ring on a particular bison tube placement that I have out.

...I'm trying to come up with a better solution to constantly replacing the rubber o-ring on a particular bison tube placement that I have out.

I once saw a discussion of where to buy better orings for those things - not on this forum - let me look.....

Yum!! I LOVE onion rings!! Not sure how they'd go with tool-dip, though. :)

battered_or.jpg

Edited by knowschad