Exporting caches to Oregon from GSAK problem

DCMG

Hmmm, initial posting doesn't seem to have gotten through ...

I've noticed a wierd behaviour with exporting caches to my Oregon from GSAK using the ColoradoExport Macro where sometimes the Oregon seems to get stuck loading the new GPX file and requires a battery pull. After rebooting again, only some of the caches show up, although the entire GPX file is there (confirmed in Mass storage mode). It takes a couple of tries of downloading the GPX file again, but eventually the whole GPX file seems to get loaded. Rebooting the Oregon without reloading the GPX file does nothing (the same subset of caches is there) ... the GPX file needs to be regenerated and copied to the Oregon again.

I even tried a test where before exporting, I deleted the GPX file off of the Oregon, rebooted, confirmed there were no caches on the Oregon, then exported, but it still hung even then.

--DCMG

Occasionally happens here too.

Some things that seem to work, which you have tried it seems. Delete the old gpx files from the unit, reboot the device and let it "rebuild" to no caches. Then go back into USB mode and transfer. This usually doesn't not hang for me.

Delete the current track before transfer.

Edited by Maingray

What exactly does this ColoradoExport macro do?

It seems to me like the macro is corrupting the files in a way the Oregon doesn't like, i.e. it's changing the caches so the GPX is formatted differently from a standard PQ results file.

I've never had a problem like what you describe when loading PQ results directly into the unit.

I've had the problem with standard PQ's as well.

The GSAK export macro is just a means for simplifying the exporting of cache data to the CO/OR from GSAK. But it does one very important thing -- you can tell the macro to export child waypoints as custom POIs (which is what they really should be) to avoid having to manage them in your GPS's waypoint list. Updating and deleting child waypoints becomes much more manageable than if you use straight PQs.