Where do you get a ### Finds geocoin? (and other questions)

nericksx

On my very first cache ever, I picked up a 500 Finds geocoin. How did that person get it? Are you just sent one by Groundspeak when you log 500 finds on gc.com? Do you have to apply for it? Do you have to pay for it?

Also: do people ever put coins in caches that you don't have to pass along? I want a geocoin, but I don't want to buy one - that isn't any fun. I want to find one that I get to keep! :mad:

Thanks!

Nicole

People do indeed occasionally leave free geocoins in caches. Usually you don't know until you try to log it and it shows up as unactivated.

GC does not (to my knowledge) send out free coins. I have seen those coins for sale though. Try looking on google, it think you can get them from a couple different places.

On a side note, that's a very unusual/odd coin to find. Is it possible that someone seeded that one for someone else to find, and you found it before they did? I would watch that cache for sure to make sure.

You can find geocoins for sale at any one of the vendors in the pinned list, here in the geocoin forums, on ebay, at events, you can make trades in person, you can enter cointests and hope to win one, and sometimes you might find one meant to keep in a cache. But mostly the ones in caches are set out to travel, not to be kept, unless it is unactivated, and even them sometimes one might think it's unactivated, but the tracking number is too tiny to read and the numbers were entered wrong. If unactivated, you need a code to activate it.