legend hcx or vista hcx?

Astro5

I'm trying to find out which gps would be better for geocaching and camping, I realize that the vista hcx has the compass and the altimeter (would never use the altimeter) ;) ..... And i'm not sure if the compass would really be that much of a help? In all, I was just wondering if i really need the compass on the vista, or can I find them just at easy with the legend hcx?

I find the electronic compasses on many GPS units to be jittery and a general pain. I turn them off on my units. Having said that - I know cachers that would not go out in the field without one.

It a real love-hate sort of thing. You really need to play with one before deciding if it is right for you.

so i got a yes and a no.... ;) .....but how do you see the direction to go using a legend if you have to be moving for the compass to work? (i very frequently stop and look at the gps, so i guess when i stopped it would point in the wrong direction?) And have you noticed any difference, like its harder to find the cache without the electronic compass?

Thanks

On most GPSr's if you look at the compass rose screen, around the rim will be icons for "sun" and/or "moon". For a unit without an electronic compass just spin the GPSr unit around until the sun is in the correct location relative tto the real sun.. now your arrow will be pointing correctly! High tech eh? ;)

..what to do on cloudy days?,, hmmm start walking lol

but how do you see the direction to go using a legend if you have to be moving for the compass to work? (i very frequently stop and look at the gps, so i guess when i stopped it would point in the wrong direction?)

As with a "real" compass, one does not stare (or stop and stare) at it. Use the compass to get a visual bearing and start walking. Continue walking and spotcheck the gps every once in a while to see if you need a new visual bearing.

Count my vote in the "no electronic compass" column.

but how do you see the direction to go using a legend if you have to be moving for the compass to work? (i very frequently stop and look at the gps, so i guess when i stopped it would point in the wrong direction?)

As with a "real" compass, one does not stare (or stop and stare) at it. Use the compass to get a visual bearing and start walking. Continue walking and spotcheck the gps every once in a while to see if you need a new visual bearing.

... And have you noticed any difference, like its harder to find the cache without the electronic compass?

Thanks

I found it harder to find caches with the compass turned on because of the rather jittery nature of the thing. Once I turned it off and just remembered what direction to go when I was moving - it was good enough. I also supplment with a regular compass from time to time.

This is going to sound really newbish.... ;) but whats the point of using a real compass if the arrow on the gps is pointing the way?

i like having the electronic compass on my vista hcx, besides, i got mine on sale for the same price as a legend hcx, so why not? like someone said, you can turn it off if you want.

edit to say: i don't know if it's because of the electronic compass, but i feel i am finding geocaches easier nowadays.

Edited by namiboy
This is going to sound really newbish.... :mad: but whats the point of using a real compass if the arrow on the gps is pointing the way?

GPS units without e-compasses only point the way reliably when the unit is moving. If you stand still it knows where you are but not, to simplify a bit, which direction you are currently facing.

I bought the Legend HCx. Here's my reasoning:

- If you don't have, and maybe never used, a real compass, why would you spend the money on an electronic one in the unit?

- If you already have, and use, a real compass, why would you spend the money on an electronic one in the unit?

- If you already have, and don't use, a real compass, why would you spend the money on an electronic one in the unit?

- If you have never thought much about a real compass and have to ask why you would need the electronic one in the Vista, why would you spend the money on it?

Since buying the Legend HCx I have not once regretted the decision. Regarding the above questions, I have a good real compass and never use it.

...ken...