Uploading pictures to logs, TB, GCs, etc.

ShotgunPR

Hi,

I do not know if this issue/feature has already been mentioned so here I go:

It would be VERY beneficial that once you upload images for a cache log, you could be able to select (either by a list like the TB inventory that shows up when you create a new log entry for a cache, or some other method) those same images already uploaded for a a cache to be used as images for TB and GC logs. Sort of using the same guids references (internally) for the pictures that are already uploaded in the logs by the same user, so if you already uploaded images related to the cache the TB/GC has been placed/retrieved, those same images could be (somehow) referenced in the cache log and/or viceversa. It is repetitive to upload the images to the cache logs, THEN the TB, THEN the GC if you want to have the same images shown in the different logs. I also believe it could represent a space-saving for the server that hosts the images, since this "feature" surely eliminates repeated images.

It is a daunting task to upload images to a cache log, and THEN upload those same images to the TB and GC logs so that if someone views the TB/GC log they see some images of their whereabouts. There could be an option to have separate pictures (just as it is NOW) but if you are going to upload a bunch of images that are the same ones you are going to use for the TBs/GCs you are logging.... WHY upload again the same images?

Yes, it won't take that long to upload. Resizing your image on your machine will definitely speed the transfer.

You mention "cache", "TB", and "GC"? I only see two places to post a picture: caches and trackables. (Oh, and benchmarks too...)

Well if you like duplicating the same picture... fine.

But what about those who like to document their personal GC's or TB's travels with photos of the caches?

With each picture uploaded to a cache, you have to do the same for each and every TB and GC you would like to "share" those same photos. Rather pointless if you already have the picture uploaded to a cache log, but have to upload the same pic again for each trackable you would like to share the same photo. Being an IT professional, it also consumes unnecessary server space, effectively duplicating storage. Even if a pic is under 300k, if you share the pic on three different logs you are looking at 600k of overhead (with 2 trackables), and more if you do the same with other trackables (TB t-shirt, personal GCs, etc.)

If there were a way to link to externally hosted pictures, the space savings on the GC.com server would even be greater. Considering the fear of data loss that recently struck us all, it is something to consider seriously.