GARMIN ETREX LEGEND CX opinions?

hey, iv been looking around and have found what i think is not a bad deal for a GARMIN ETREX LEGEND CX (out dated model). im just wanting to know if anyone here has had any experience with one? and how are they for geocaching? also, how big microSD card can they take?

Yep that should work fine for Geocaching if the price is right! Finding an "H" model would be a worthy pursuit though as they have a higher performance receiver but the non "H" models do indeed work great.

I think it'll hold a 2GB micro-SD card max. That's a TON of room though! I live in Canada and have our entire country in there with the City Navigator software plus a hunk of north-eastern USA

I had a CX for a while, and it was great for geocaching. But the other replies are true -- you just can't beat an "HC" or an "HCX" model for accuracy, quick satellite acquisition, and maintaining position. You can get a Venture HC for under $100 on eBay now. I have owned a couple of these, plus the Vista HCX, and I am having a hard time finding a better GPS for the money. I think you would be happier in the long run with an "H" model Garmin. I have seen the CX models going for under $50 on eBay, so I can see how it would be tempting. But I would guess the folks selling these are getting frustrated with the loss of signal and upgrading to another model. The CX is a good GPS, but there are better choices out there for the same or slightly higher price.

I'll echo the previous comments. If you can get one for around $50 - $70 then it might be worth it but for just slightly more you can get a Venture HC with the high sensitivity receiver. Also keep in mind that the extra memory is only for adding maps to the unit - not waypoints or Geocaches.

I'll echo the previous comments. If you can get one for around $50 - $70 then it might be worth it but for just slightly more you can get a Venture HC with the high sensitivity receiver. Also keep in mind that the extra memory is only for adding maps to the unit - not waypoints or Geocaches.

That's a KILLER echo StarBrand! :D

But I'll throw some sand into the growing theory lol.. I cache with a Vista Cx and personally I find it is an awesome GPSr, great accuracy and NO I don't lose signal the moment I step under a tree(!)

My girlfriend caches with a Vista HCx and, yes her's definitely has a better receiver than mine, and it was a great move by Garmin to bring out the "H" line, but I'm still quite happy with my Cx. No big urge to upgrade just yet..

.. actually I'm waiting for the Lowrance Enduras to come out :anicute:

I've been using that model for 3 years and really like it. It does lose the signal under trees, but until it dies, I can't justify upgrading to the HCx model. I use a 1gb card, which holds the entire City Nav maps. But, I think having the entire country on their slows it down a bit.