How to transfer a travelbug into another user's inventory?

sejtraav

You give the travel bug to the other person.

He then logs it, selecting "Grab it from current holder" from the drop-down, puts the TB tracking number into the box in the usual way and writes his comment.

When he submits his log entry, the TB will then be moved from your inventory into his.

MrsB

If you originally picked up the TB in another place (i.e. not locally), you might want to transfer it to your friend by logging it into a local cache (by logging a note on the local cache) and then have your friend log it out of that cache. That way the TB shows that it moved through your local area, rather than a jump from some other location to where your friend takes it.

You don't have to physically place it into the local cache, just by logs.

Now, as I write this I wonder if some people will say this shouldn't be done, since the TB wasn't physically at the local cache. But it's really no different than someone dipping their personal TB into every cache they visit and retrieving back. Either way the TB wasn't really placed in that cache container.

If you originally picked up the TB in another place (i.e. not locally), you might want to transfer it to your friend by logging it into a local cache (by logging a note on the local cache) and then have your friend log it out of that cache. That way the TB shows that it moved through your local area, rather than a jump from some other location to where your friend takes it.

Now, as I write this I wonder if some people will say this shouldn't be done, since the TB wasn't physically at the local cache. But it's really no different than someone dipping their personal TB into every cache they visit and retrieving back. Either way the TB wasn't really placed in that cache container.

Logging bugs through caches they did not visit is virtual logging and is against guidelines.

Logging bugs through caches they did not visit is virtual logging and is against guidelines.

Just for clarification (unless we are missing something), while travel bugs must actually visit the cache to be logged, they do not necessarily have to be physically placed in the cache (i.e., micro caches, virtual caches, earthcaches, very large travel bugs [vehicles], etc.).

As for what consitutes a visit, we would consider the immediate area of a cache sufficent. However, if the cache is at the top of the hill and the travel bug was left in the vehicle at the bottom of the hill, that would be too far away to be considered "immediate area".

Finally, we do like the idea of ensuring a visit of a local cache to better reflect, not just the mileage, but the actual travels of the travel bug.