Garmin 60csx compass settings for geocaching?

F.A.N.

Hello there,

I'm a beginner and I heave some trouble finding the correct compass-settings for my gpsmap 60csx.

I've searched many forums and sites but still haven't found a clear answer what compass-settings to use for geocaching.

Till now I've searched caches with the compass switched off, but I've read on many sites/forums that the use of the compass of the garmin 60csx makes easier to find the cache.

In the system->heading-menu you can change the time/speed that activates the compass, but I don't know what setting to use for "north reference" There are 4 settings: True, magnetic, grid and user and the manual doesn't give any information about these settings. What compass-settings should I use for geocaching?

Thanks for reading!

Greetings

Allard

Hello there,

I'm a beginner and I heave some trouble finding the correct compass-settings for my gpsmap 60csx.

I've searched many forums and sites but still haven't found a clear answer what compass-settings to use for geocaching.

Till now I've searched caches with the compass switched off, but I've read on many sites/forums that the use of the compass of the garmin 60csx makes easier to find the cache.

In the system->heading-menu you can change the time/speed that activates the compass, but I don't know what setting to use for "north reference" There are 4 settings: True, magnetic, grid and user and the manual doesn't give any information about these settings. What compass-settings should I use for geocaching?

Thanks for reading!

Greetings

Allard

99% of the time, it will make no difference which you use. Map and navigation arrow orientation will be correct regardless of the setting. The only time it may make a difference if you have to project a waypoint using supplied distance and bearing. Usually, the owner will tell you whether to use True or Magnetic north. For short distances, the difference will be small.

99% of the time, it will make no difference which you use. Map and navigation arrow orientation will be correct regardless of the setting. The only time it may make a difference if you have to project a waypoint using supplied distance and bearing. Usually, the owner will tell you whether to use True or Magnetic north. For short distances, the difference will be small.

Thank you for your reply!

I tried different settings today during a geocache, I foud out that there were small differences between the settings "magnetic"and "true" North. I've used the "True" setting which was ok in most situations. I calibrated the compas in the field before starting the cache.. so it should be right. But when searching the "final" cache in the forest, the compass was turning all the time giving me no steady heading (even walking very slow. I've set it at 2 km/h at 5 sec.)

What could be wrong?

Allard

Everybody is different but i use the compass until i get very close and then say the last 100 feet i shut the compass off because it bounces around way too much for me when standing still at the final destination.

Joe

I've tested the compass-function of the 60csx yesterday at some waypoints I already found, the last ±1,5 meters till the "point" the compass didn't help me much (bouncing and turning). This is a bit frustrating when searching for a cache in really dense bushes where the gps is not so accurate....

But like I said in my first post I'm a beginner so 'll have to find my way working with the gps....

Thank you for your replies!!

Gr.

Allard

I've tested the compass-function of the 60csx yesterday at some waypoints I already found, the last ±1,5 meters till the "point" the compass didn't help me much (bouncing and turning). This is a bit frustrating when searching for a cache in really dense bushes where the gps is not so accurate....

But like I said in my first post I'm a beginner so 'll have to find my way working with the gps....

That's not the compass. That's the navigation arrow. The compass is the RING. It should be just as accurate when you're 1 meter from a cache as when you're 1 mile from a cache.

That's not the compass. That's the navigation arrow. The compass is the RING. It should be just as accurate when you're 1 meter from a cache as when you're 1 mile from a cache.

Sorry, you're right!

I meant that the navigation-arrow is turning all the time (when compass is on), it doesn't point to the waypoint/cache all the time. I hoped the navigation-arrow (when compass is on) would point in the direction of the waypoint/cache all the time, making it easier to find the waypoint/cache in dense bushes when walking very slow and gps isn't accurate anymore.

gr.

Allard

Sorry, you're right!

I meant that the navigation-arrow is turning all the time (when compass is on), it doesn't point to the waypoint/cache all the time. I hoped the navigation-arrow (when compass is on) would point in the direction of the waypoint/cache all the time, making it easier to find the waypoint/cache in dense bushes when walking very slow and gps isn't accurate anymore.

gr.

Allard

What you're seeing is just normal GPS error. The error is not worse when you get close to a cache, but the results of that error are just a lot more apparent.

Imagine two rabbit holes, 20 feet apart. You're standing 100 feet away. Periodically, a rabbit will pop his head out of one hole or the other. Your job is to point at the rabbit. At 100' feet away, it's pretty easy, as you only have to move your arm a few degrees in order to point from one hole to the other, and your arm is always pointed in the same general direction.

Now image you're standing between the two holes, each 10 feet away. You have to swing around 180 degrees in order to point from one to the other. But nothing about the holes or the rabbits have changed. They're doing exactly the same thing they were doing when you 100 feet away and your arm was hardly moving at all.

In this analogy, your arm is the navigation arrow, and the rabbits are normal GPS error (if that wasn't obvious).