Very, very new to geocaching

kkelly106

I stumbled upon this site by accident, and immediately became intrigued. I've always been fascinated by maps and am pretty savvy in map coordinates, etc, but do not have a GPS device. I'm gearing up for my first search in my neighborhood but am not sure what to do once I find the cache. Will I need to bring something to leave behind? Does the find have to be reported in some fashion? Also, some definition of basic geocaching terminology, acronyms, and abbreviations would be helpful, could even be posted on the website as a glossary.

Kathy

I stumbled upon this site by accident, and immediately became intrigued. I've always been fascinated by maps and am pretty savvy in map coordinates, etc, but do not have a GPS device. I'm gearing up for my first search in my neighborhood but am not sure what to do once I find the cache. Will I need to bring something to leave behind? Does the find have to be reported in some fashion? Also, some definition of basic geocaching terminology, acronyms, and abbreviations would be helpful, could even be posted on the website as a glossary.

Kathy

Welcome :lol:

A lot of your questions will be answered in the pinned topic at the top of this forum: Read First! Geocaching FAQ

Most geocachers would agree that when you find a cache the most important thing to do is to sign your name in the logbook.

You can leave something, or do a swap of items in the cache: The general rule is that if you swap then please "trade up or even".

Most geocachers then log their Find online - To do this you need to go to the cache page and click on the link at the top right corner where it says "Log your visit" which takes you to the "Post a new log" page.

Here's a useful link: Useful lexicon of acronyms and phrases.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges