Magellan giving away free maps to owners of Triton

If you have a Triton 400 and up, Magellan is now giving you a free 49 state topo map of the United States, sorry Alaska. You can either buy a new Triton and get the maps or you can RE-REGISTER your current Triton and get the free maps. The maps are in regions plus Hawaii in imi format and you'll need an SD card to load them with. Each region is around 128 mb in size. A 2 gig card will cover the entire US. Plus millions of POI's.

http://www.magellangps.com/store/promotion...p_promotion.asp

You will have to be in ADMIN mode to unzip the files in Vista. Always run anything with the Triton on Vista in ADMIN mode.

With all the flaws of the Triton, if you can grab a T-400 for 99 bucks at Walmart or somewhere else on clearance and get the free maps, worth the price in my opinion.

Oh wow, thank you so much! I was seriously consitering spending 50$ from a third party map maker. If this works out , then I'll give you my first born son.

When I try to reregister. It says there's a problem with the serial number. I guess cause it's already registered?

Just log in to your already existing account. It did give a date range... may 15 to some date. Might be a problem if you registered before that?

FYI 1: The download is about 1.5 gigs for USA.

FYI 2: It helps to run the installation "as administrator" or it will tell you you don't have enough hard drive space.

Edited by Arrow42

I registered mine last year

You might just be out of luck then. Sorry.

Eligibility

Anyone who purchases and registers a new Triton device on www.magellangps.com between May 15 � June 30, 2009.

It's too bad they restricted this so much. Maybe if you e-mail thier technical support they make an exception for you? (then again, there have been so many comments about how back their support is, so maybe not)

BTW - Good maps. They were exactly what I was looking for. So far the roads look quite accurate, but I'll know more after I've been out and about a bit. What I realy wanted from my maps was where the roads were at (check) and where the boarders of the parks are at (check) and I think this does it quite well. Only problem is that I won't be getting updates. Oh well. 98% of roads don't change very often and I can fly by the seat of my pants when they do. :rolleyes:

Edited by Arrow42

I just got a Triton 500. Dumb question, but how do I load geocaches into it? The instructions are pretty bad. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

If you have a Triton 400 and up, Magellan is now giving you a free 49 state topo map of the United States, sorry Alaska. You can either buy a new Triton and get the maps or you can RE-REGISTER your current Triton and get the free maps. The maps are in regions plus Hawaii in imi format and you'll need an SD card to load them with. Each region is around 128 mb in size. A 2 gig card will cover the entire US. Plus millions of POI's.

You will have to be in ADMIN mode to unzip the files in Vista. Always run anything with the Triton on Vista in ADMIN mode.

With all the flaws of the Triton, if you can grab a T-400 for 99 bucks at Walmart or somewhere else on clearance and get the free maps, worth the price in my opinion.

I just got a Triton 500. Dumb question, but how do I load geocaches into it? The instructions are pretty bad. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Here's a step by step...

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you're not a premium member you can follow the same procedure with the .loc files(except for the Pocket Queries and you won't get all of the info from the cache page...

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(reasure chesat icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

2c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description