Camping in Kelso?

Bit of a long shot...

My OH and I are hoping to walk the Borders Abbeys Way in July but we're struggling to find anywhere to camp in/very near Kelso, Borders.

I know "wild" camping is legal and tolerated over the border but Kelso is at the end of an 18 mile day so we'd prefer somewhere definite!

Does anyone know of any common land/farm/pub garden where camping is allowed or encouraged?

Bit of a long shot...

My OH and I are hoping to walk the Borders Abbeys Way in July but we're struggling to find anywhere to camp in/very near Kelso, Borders.

I know "wild" camping is legal and tolerated over the border but Kelso is at the end of an 18 mile day so we'd prefer somewhere definite!

Does anyone know of any common land/farm/pub garden where camping is allowed or encouraged?

Ian

Having spent a lot of time in Scotland I can tell you that you can camp almost anywhere within reason, and have even had the Scottish Police pop by and say hello and hoped we were well. OK you don't get the facilities of hot shower etc, but it is free. The rule is, just don't camp where you might disturb the landowner.

Might be worth giving the Kelso Tourist Office a ring.

They should know what landowners are friendly - perhaps a farm B&B will let you camp provided you pay for their breakfast?

The local Caravan site doesn't take tents - but again it might be worth ringing them incase they can help - or they may be able to advise where you can go?

Word of Advice - don't camp too close to the river, unless you want eaten alive by the dreaded scottish midgies!

Bit of a long shot...

hi

i dont know the area.

but have you tried the nearest cache page, street map and zoom in a couple of times and seraching the os map it brings up?

Just a thought.

i dont know the area.

but have you tried the nearest cache page, street map and zoom in a couple of times and seraching the os map it brings up?

Just a thought.

Yes, tried OS maps, aerial photos, tourist information, local cache owners, local farms, local pubs, local B&Bs. Any other ideas welcomed!