Boasting. Sorry. :)

foxtrot_xray

... No, not BOATING. Boasting.

Next week, DeLorme announced that they're releasing their Cache Register. Basically, it's a stand-alone program that will let you upload a saved Pocket Query of exported GPX file directly to one of their PN-xx series GPS devices. (I think that there's still only two of us with DeLorme GPSes here benchmarking?)

So, anyways, on a whim I contacted them because, as a consumer benchar hunter, I wanted to make sure that my benchmark GPX files would load without issue (unlike in their Topo7/8 software that is normally used to send these to the GPSes.) I just got a message back informing me that for the last build, their programmers took one of the benchmark GPXes created by my [plug here!] my NGS converting program and added some features to import much, if not all, of the benchmark data into the GPS.

So, small promotion here - If you've been looking at a new GPS, go grab the PN-40. For benchamarking, it's friggin' perfect, especially with the display of USGS Topos and Aerial Imagery on screen. Now with the Cache Register about to be released, you won't have to use their desktop mapping software (which, admittedly, can be tedious to use at times) and can simply load a converted GPX into their program and send them straight to the GPS. :blink:

No, I'm not affiliated with DeLorme in any way, other than a happy customer. :P (Truthfully, now that I'm jobless, I HAVE been trying to get a job with them. However, the hiring people don't know I post here, so this apparent kissing-up won't affect that.)

Okay. I'm shutting up now. It's been a terrible month, personally. For me, any news is good, and that made my day. :P

Mike.

... No, not BOATING. Boasting.

BOATING huh? Are you sure you're not a Power Squadron member? :P

I just got a message back informing me that for the last build, their programmers took one of the benchmark GPXes created by my [plug here!] my NGS converting program and added some features to import much, if not all, of the benchmark data into the GPS.

Okay. I'm shutting up now. It's been a terrible month, personally. For me, any news is good, and that made my day. :blink:

Mike.

I would like to say two things:

1) I really like your NGS>>GPX program and I use it a lot.

2) I am sorry it has been a bad month and I am sorry to hear that you are jobless (there is a lot of that going around). Kudos to you on Garmin's appreciation and use of your great program. I hope it is the start of many good things to come.

You are always welcome to jump in the Mini and come out here to Oregon – we can explore some railroads and/or benchmarks.

Good luck and congrats,

-The TillaMurphs

BOATING huh? Are you sure you're not a Power Squadron member? :)

Yeah, I'm sure. Funny, I've never lived closer to water than a few hours away. I can stand on the beach without a problem. I can be on a boat within sight of land, no problem. But when that land gets out of sight... problem. I dunno where I got it from.

I would like to say two things:

1) I really like your NGS>>GPX program and I use it a lot.

2) I am sorry it has been a bad month and I am sorry to hear that you are jobless (there is a lot of that going around). Kudos to you on Garmin's appreciation and use of your great program. I hope it is the start of many good things to come.

You are always welcome to jump in the Mini and come out here to Oregon – we can explore some railroads and/or benchmarks.

First *ahem* - DeLorme, not Garmin. :blink: But, thanks for the offer! I may take you up on it some day. I have an interview this coming week up in Washington DC, and if it goes well, I WILL be better off than I was, with more vacation time. :D Downside is, I'd have a move looming. Eh, we'll see. :P

I was pretty spiffed about the program because it drew out a few BM hunters from the company, and they offered that if there was anything they could do in future updates for benchmarking, to let them know. So it seems I annoyed the right people. :P

Hey FX: Hang in there! You'll get it turned around.

You know I'm the other regular here with a Delorme PN-40, right? I think there might be a few more, also.

Looking forward to Delorme's Cache Register. I have been able to load up all of most datasheets on the PN-40 using JaM4AR's little "hack" that uses Delorme's "Send to GPS" browser software.

True, it only works for Firefox 3 browser (which I do anyway), and it is "get a cup of coffee" slow, but hey, it works! Of course, some improved formating wouldn't hurt :D . The only limit I've hit (PN-40SE w/ 8GB internal) is the 15,0000 character per "geocache" limit. I imagine the same 15,0000 character limit will apply with Cache Register. So,except for those really long datasheets, I've been "single unit" paperless benchmark hunting for a while. It's great!

Now Delorme needs to come out with the update to allow multiple files of 1000 waypoints each (like my Magellam Meridian has had for years). Then it will be perfect for benchmark hunting (but it's close now).

Klemmer

Hey FX: Hang in there! You'll get it turned around.

I'm hangin'! I have a really good lead, but it's about 600 miles away from my 'home'. I drive up to Washington DC this coming Tuesday to meet the owner, we'll see how it goes. :D

You know I'm the other regular here with a Delorme PN-40, right? I think there might be a few more, also.

Looking forward to Delorme's Cache Register. I have been able to load up all of most datasheets on the PN-40 using JaM4AR's little "hack" that uses Delorme's "Send to GPS" browser software.

True, it only works for Firefox 3 browser (which I do anyway), and it is "get a cup of coffee" slow, but hey, it works! Of course, some improved formating wouldn't hurt :D . The only limit I've hit (PN-40SE w/ 8GB internal) is the 15,0000 character per "geocache" limit. I imagine the same 15,0000 character limit will apply with Cache Register. So,except for those really long datasheets, I've been "single unit" paperless benchmark hunting for a while. It's great!

Now Delorme needs to come out with the update to allow multiple files of 1000 waypoints each (like my Magellam Meridian has had for years). Then it will be perfect for benchmark hunting (but it's close now).

Hey! Yeah, i remember now it was you. I just suck at remembering names. :) As far as I recall, the 15k limit is a firmware issue in the PN-40(SE) itself, not necessarily of their softwares. (But, having said that, I'm sure their softwares trim it to 15k characters BECAUSE of that limitation.) For that matter, I haven't come across a datasheet I haven't fit into memory. :) I have problems switching between pages (the comment field and the compass, for example) quickly, when I'm trying to determine measurements and such. :)

I also haven't gotten close to the 1000 limit. However, I feel if they did get rid of that, then I would more than likely take advantage of it. :)

Funny, I have just ordered a PN-40 and am interested in finding Benchmarks. I am an engineer by trade but have done a fair amount of surveying. I was surprised to see that there are a lot of benchmarks in my area I have used in the past that are not logged.....fun stuff.

How do you do a quary to get the benchmarks? I have not figured that out yet and would like to jump in when my PN-40 gets here. Thanks

Funny, I have just ordered a PN-40 and am interested in finding Benchmarks. I am an engineer by trade but have done a fair amount of surveying. I was surprised to see that there are a lot of benchmarks in my area I have used in the past that are not logged.....fun stuff.

How do you do a quary to get the benchmarks? I have not figured that out yet and would like to jump in when my PN-40 gets here. Thanks

Others replied in your first thread - but since you asked me personally, I use GSAK, and have every state's benchmarks in a separate database in GSAK, so I don't have to go online to search and find. :P