Publication Notification

How do you set up your online account when you are a premium member to text you and send an email regarding new publications in your area?? Thanks for your help!

P.S. Is there some directions to using the features when becoming a premium member? If not there should be.

How do you set up your online account when you are a premium member to text you and send an email regarding new publications in your area?? Thanks for your help!

P.S. Is there some directions to using the features when becoming a premium member? If not there should be.

I don't send notifications to my phone, but I'm quite certain people who do it are using email enabled phones, and these are not text messages. Me, I have the internet turned off on my cell phone, although it is capable of receiving email. Believe me, you don't want the internet turned on on any cell phone account which includes a teenaged girl. :(

The best you can do with text messaging is to make "field notes" that you can refer to and edit when logged in on the website. You can also receive decrypted cache hints via text. Tried it once (just at home, not in the field), and it works pretty good, and sends back the hint within seconds.

So my babbling aside, I'm sure someone who has set up email notifications to their cell phone will come along shortly.

You can set up notifications for newly published caches here.

http://www.geocaching.com/notify/

Select "Publish" and the type. You probably want to set up "Retracted" as well.

Also, note that all the notifications are sent as emails and not as SMS. If you don't have email on your phone, you can get the SMS gateway for your carrier.

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-...s/gateway-list/

Go to your "My Profile" page. Look on the right side, down near the bottom, for the "Premium Features" section. Click on "Set up Notifications". You can have the notifications sent to any email address, and most mobile phone service providers have a way to send email messages to your phone as a text message. For Verizon it's nnnnnnnnnn@vtext.com. The n's are your phone number with area code.

You'll have to set up notifications for all cache types you're interested in, and you should note that the coordinates and description are NOT included in the notification email. You have to surf to the web site for that info.

[Edit: Or, do what MM said. Apparently I type too slowly.]

Edited by J-Way

As a word of warning. If you send it to your phone as a text it may show up as several text messages. I did this to my ATT iPhone for instant notifications (no push e-mail yet) and I'd get 6 text messages. It was very cumbersome and I only have 200 texts a month so I had to switch it back to e-mail.

Scott

I don't send notifications to my phone, but I'm quite certain people who do it are using email enabled phones, and these are not text messages. Me, I have the internet turned off on my cell phone, although it is capable of receiving email. Believe me, you don't want the internet turned on on any cell phone account which includes a teenaged girl. :P

The best you can do with text messaging is to make "field notes" that you can refer to and edit when logged in on the website. You can also receive decrypted cache hints via text. Tried it once (just at home, not in the field), and it works pretty good, and sends back the hint within seconds.

So my babbling aside, I'm sure someone who has set up email notifications to their cell phone will come along shortly.

As one of the 'certain people' that receive them I can tell you for a fact that they DO come is as a text message and not as an email. Actually I have them come in as picture messages that has a 1000 character limit instead of a trunkated 160 character message.

I don't send notifications to my phone, but I'm quite certain people who do it are using email enabled phones, and these are not text messages. Me, I have the internet turned off on my cell phone, although it is capable of receiving email. Believe me, you don't want the internet turned on on any cell phone account which includes a teenaged girl. :P

As one of the 'certain people' that receive them I can tell you for a fact that they DO come is as a text message and not as an email. Actually I have them come in as picture messages that has a 1000 character limit instead of a trunkated 160 character message.

Hey, c'mon now, "certain people" is taken out of context. :D I was just surfing the forum, and was first to respond. I'm actually shocked there aren't more responses to this thread, considering all the people whom I know to get new cache alerts on their cell phones.

And not that I know what I'm talking about, but if you had new cache notifications sent to an email account that was used for nothing but new cache notifications, and that email account was sent to an email-enabled cellphone, why wouldn't it be an email? (as opposed to a text message).

I don't send notifications to my phone, but I'm quite certain people who do it are using email enabled phones, and these are not text messages. Me, I have the internet turned off on my cell phone, although it is capable of receiving email. Believe me, you don't want the internet turned on on any cell phone account which includes a teenaged girl. :laughing:

Hey, c'mon now, "certain people" is taken out of context. :D I was just surfing the forum, and was first to respond. I'm actually shocked there aren't more responses to this thread, considering all the people whom I know to get new cache alerts on their cell phones.

And not that I know what I'm talking about, but if you had new cache notifications sent to an email account that was used for nothing but new cache notifications, and that email account was sent to an email-enabled cellphone, why wouldn't it be an email? (as opposed to a text message).

I did understand what you meant by 'certain people' and knew you were just poking fun but my dry semi-sarcastic reply failed without the facial expression & voice inflection to go with it.

Yes, if you have an email-enabled phone you can get it that way, but it isn't the only way to receive it on your cell phone.

I understand completely about blocking internet on cell phones belonging to teenage females. I have 2 of them & have to block everything except standard text messages and actual calls. Since I got the modem for my laptop, I have taken internet & email off my phone too. It's just as easy to pull out the laptop & check, plus its a lot easier on these old eyes.

-edit for spelling-

Edited by DiamondDaveG