Waterproof 60Csx

Yep, it was a fabulous trip, and the 1st time I tried logging the entire 12-day trip on my 60Csx to geotag the photos I took. You can see the 12-day GPSr track, as well as the sync'd photos at the EveryTrail trip sharing site:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=209298

The eneloop batteries worked like a charm, as well as the 60Csx.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by jimlarkey

Hi Jim

The pictures are fantastic......... over the last three years i talk of doing the same trip as you did but never actually saw pictures of it and i can't thank you enough. Having lived in Arizona and now Pennsylvania i really miss the desert. Wonder if my vista Hcx could take the same kind of dunking

Joe

Yep, it was a fabulous trip, and the 1st time I tried logging the entire 12-day trip on my 60Csx to geotag the photos I took. You can see the 12-day GPSr track, as well as the sync'd photos at the EveryTrail trip sharing site:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=209298

The eneloop batteries worked like a charm, as well as the 60Csx.

Cheers,

Jim

Well im well jelous......looks fantastic and maybe one day :( .......what sort of runtime did you get out of the eneloops ??.....and did you have many problems down in the canyon with loss if signal etc ??

My tests showed 22hr continuous-on for the eneloops, so I figured 2-days for each battery set, which worked out 12 single AA cells.

You can see on the track that there is some significant multi-path errors in some parts of the Canyon. Overall, I'm satisfied with the track log. I suppose I could edit track log, particularly in a spot or two where I forgot to turn on the GPSr, but not really worth the effort.

Thanks for your interest, guys!

Cheers,

Jim

A few questions:

1. Did you save one large 12-day track, or did you save the track a section at a time?

2. How did you save the GPS locations for the photos? Do you use a camera with that capability? If so, which one?

3. It looks like you were using Alps Mountaineering Meramac tents - guessing they were provided by the outfitter ... how did you like them? (I'm a Boy Scout leader and am interested in that model right now)

4. What was the thing people were posing next to that looks like a remnant from an airplane?

Ken

Edited by kenk

Hi Ken,

1. Did you save one large 12-day track....No, I did not save as one large tracklog...bumped up against 10,000 limit. I saved 2 tracklogs with nearly 10,000 points, and then recovered the active logs from my 4GB mSDHC card. Those active logs (with elevs) I joined in Mapsource to create a single gpx file for sharing on EveryTrail.com

2. How did you save the GPS locations for the photos....The photos were geotagged with GeoSetter , a freeware proggie that sync's the timestamp of the photos to the timestamp tracklog. I've used gpicsync, but prefer the feature-rich GeoSetter. I use a 9-yr-old Canon G1..nothing special. You can do geotagging with any camera that timestamps the digital file. With the clock on the camera and GPSr set to the same time, all you're doing with the software is linking the timestamp on the photo to the track log. You can even geotag manually, if you know where the pic was taken.

3. ...tents..how did you like them.... The tents were provided by Hatch Expeditions, and were OK, except for the blown zippers. I don't know the brand name. You really didn't need a tent, except on those extremely windy nights to keep the blowing sand out of your sleeping bag. The constant sand caused the blown zippers on about 3 other tents, as well as ours. A fellow brought his own Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight CD tent (which I also own, and have used in the mountains for over 8 years), without any problems.

4. ...thing people were posing next to that looks like a remnant from an airplane... Remnants of a 1956 mid-air collision.

Thanks for your interest Ken.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by jimlarkey