Help with GPX files

Nhtravelers5

Hi. Just got a premium membership and can already see the time savings in having queries with a single gpx file. However, my problem is that I can't seem to find a way to do what should be trivial - in one batch command to highlight and decrypt all of the hints (rather than one-by-one); then save the gpx file so I can print out a line listing of all of the caches with decrypted hints rather than page by page. I've tried with Easy GPS, Garmin's Mapsource, and Garmin's new BaseCamp.

Second related question: I love geology and the Earthcaches. How can I preserve the EarthCache icon in the gpx file as well as the instructions contained in the cache descriptions but not in the gpx data?

It seems to defeat the entire premise of pocket queries and gpx files if I still have to print out each page to take in the field. What am I missing? Thank you in advance.

GSAK - a database to store and manipulate the geocaches. It is not called "Swiss Army Knife" for nothing. It is very versatile and extensible with macros.

PDA or a paperless GPSr to bring the data into the field. Palm m1xx or m5xx models that use USB is a good choice. If you have a serial port on your computer, you can use the III or V series. You need software like Cachemate or something similar on the PDA.

What instructions (other than external hyperlinks and images) is in the cache description but not in the GPX?

Edited by Chrysalides

GSAK - a database to store and manipulate the geocaches. It is not called "Swiss Army Knife" for nothing. It is very versatile and extensible with macros.

PDA or a paperless GPSr to bring the data into the field. Palm m1xx or m5xx models that use USB is a good choice. If you have a serial port on your computer, you can use the III or V series. You need software like Cachemate or something similar on the PDA.

What instructions (other than external hyperlinks and images) is in the cache description but not in the GPX?

Hey!! don't forget about used PPC devices like Dell Axim's - combine with free GPXview. Go afor around $30 these days on eBay. Great with GPX files as they require no reformatting for use on the device.

I use GSAK and have a Garmin Vista HCx, and there is a macro for GSAK that allows me to add custom points of interest - and this would be the part of the cache description such as terr/diff, logs, hints, etc. It does it over a few entries, but it is better than killing a tree, and of course dragging around paper. This was especially important for a semi-beginner like me - to know the size and terr/diff and all the other stuff too :anibad:

I just got the Oregon 400t - I still use GSAK, because of it's flexibility, and database features.

Chrysalides,

Frequently, on Earth Caches and Virtual Caches, there are instructions regarding what information the cache owner requires be emailed as documentation before you can log. These appear in the general description of the cache and do not get downloaded in the GPX file (at least not in a field that I can see with EasyGPS). Thanks, and I'll look into GSAK.

Bill

Frequently, on Earth Caches and Virtual Caches, there are instructions regarding what information the cache owner requires be emailed as documentation before you can log. These appear in the general description of the cache and do not get downloaded in the GPX file (at least not in a field that I can see with EasyGPS).

I've only done a few Earthcaches, and I do see the instructions within the Long Description field of the waypoint in the GPX file. I can view them in Cachemate. However, it could be that for some Earthcaches the description is too long and got truncated. I haven't tried EasyGPS so I don't know how it handles the data.

I prefer to print out Earthcaches anyway, because it is easier to take notes, read in the car, pass the info around, and so on. And since I don't do Earthcaches very often (grand total of 4 so far) it doesn't kill many trees.

Good luck with GSAK. It is not an easy application to learn, and the user interface is somewhat antiquated, but it is highly customizable and very powerful. The GSAK forum is also excellent - so far my questions were answered within an hour of me asking them.