How do the 3 Garmin Oregon models differ?

there is now a $50 coupon rebate for Oregon models 200 300 and 400. On the website, for the manufacturer, I cannot see much difference between these models except for storage. With free topo maps available, does it make any sense to purchase the more expensive 400 model to utilize the free topo maps for the United States ot to buy the cheaper model, the 200, since each has a card slot (I believe).

My interest is in GeoCaching with the kids, I have routinely used a Garmin GPS model C330 for driving. so I know a little, but not much about using a handheld model for hiking in the woods. Any advice or help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

You are righy. It is now expired.

What handheld do you recommend for intermediate price?

What's your 'intermediate price'?

The 60 series is my go-to-handheld (more like true love & devotion), but the eTrex line has a huge following as well. Personally, having just purchased the 400T (at the blow out price and by using my REI dividend it cost me almost nothing), I'd buy something low-end (read: cheap) and wait for that to go on sale again.

The 400t a kick to use, but I've found the 60 series to be more efficient overall. I have enjoyed having the cache pages with me at times though. And yes, I realize I could do this with a Palm or other type of unit, but the all-in-one is way way way more to my liking. I usually cache with my GPS and a pen to sign the log with, nothing else... sometimes not having the cache pages gets you screwed in the end!

That said, with the 500T coming out (is it out?) it may not be too far of a stretch to see the prices on the 400T drop not-so-temporarily.

Personally, having just purchased the 400T (at the blow out price and by using my REI dividend it cost me almost nothing), I'd buy something low-end (read: cheap) and wait for that to go on sale again.

I really like the idea above of picking up a cheaper eTrex off of eBay or here in the Garage Sale and holding out for the next big sale for the Oregon 400 (or 300, or for that matter the new 500 with camera if you want that kind of thing).

The Oregon is a wonderful unit - and while I paid about $50 more than the REI special a few weeks before they released their deal I'm still very pleased and have ZERO buyers remorse (a rare thing for me).

If I were in your shoes I'd go cheap now, and step up later when there are more deals to be had.

A Garmin eTrex will do the trick. I'd go for the high sensitivity chipset, so you don't lose signal as much under tree or cloud cover. A lot of the really elite cachers up here just use that. I have the Oregon, but I got it cheap (employee discount on top of sale price and rebate after that). I love it, but I don't think I'd pay retail for it.

I work at REI, so i'm a little biased, but I definitely recommend talking to the guy at the GPS counter about what you want to do, and he can probably help you narrow down your choices a bit. He'll probably even put a display model in your hot little hand so you can figure out if you like the interface, or if the screen size is good for you. He can also make sure you know what accessories and software are included with each model and which ones are purchased separately. After that, when you're down to two or so, come to a place like this and see what you can download for free. Then buy and have fun.

Keep in mind that geocaching is a relatively inexpensive hobby once you have the GPS.