Any way to adopt?

There's a micro in my area that would be easy for me to check up on and keep going. The owner has indicated the intention to archive it (but hasn't) after it's "removed" - as seen on the cache log. Also has disabled their email address with the published intent of quitting the sport - so can't contact.

Is there any way to adopt this cache to keep it in circulation? The adopt page won't work since the owner hasn't asked to have it adopted. Would proper proceedure be to pick up the cache and then use a different name to put it in the same location? Other options? I think this one needs a "higher up" decision. Happy to provide exact details upon request.

Cj.

Looks like the information is important but in my case doesn't now apply.

After adding a log entry to the cache (indicating the intention to fill his request to pick up the cache) I was contacted by the owner with the request not to do so. He's back! So happy days all around. The cache is in the hands of the original owner and is being watched. Considering the outcome it might be wise for other cachers to do likewise and publish their intention to do as requested - then give it a couple of days just in case the owner has changed their minds.

No harm knowing the proper method to such a situation and I'm just as happy, as a brand new cacher, NOT having the responsibility yet of caches. I'd much rather take a larger bite than I'd like than lose those caches though. Fortunately it's all worked out to the best.

Thanks to everyone for the clarification.

Cj.

:(