Geocaching by the Numbers

I'm researching the current popularity of geocaching for a magazine article and have searched unsuccessfully for some information. I'm hoping the community can help me with the answers.

I'd like to have the accurate count of how many countries currently have geocaches in them and how many handheld GPS receivers have been sold worldwide. Any other numbers-based statistics are much appreciated. This is a sample of the information I have researched so far:

Number of geocaches hidden worldwide

Year the first GPS satellite was launched

Year the fully operational GPS system was in place

Year the first geocache was hidden

GPS satellites launched

Current number of GPS satellites in service

12-20

Number of satellite channels a new GPS receiver can monitor

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Flathead Tim

There are geocaches in pretty much all the major countries now but popularity varies by country. Some points:

On geocaching.com for example, there are only 165 in China right now, even though China is a huge country.

When I visited Kuwait a couple years ago I found the only cache in the country at the time. However the sport is growing there - 65 listed today.

I previously wrote an article for this same magazine explaining in detail the start of geocaching, including the selective availability issue being the reason the first cache could be found with any accuracy. The year 1995 was when the full system was in place, albeit watered down for civilian use.

I know that hundreds of countries have geocaches. I'm not really concerned whether they have thousands or just a few. I'd just like an accurate count of how many countries have them as of 2009. This used to be listed on the home page of geocaching.com, but is no longer.

I'd love to hear of any interesting stats you may have.

Thanks for the help!

These are just forums where active cachers talk about stuff. If you want truly accurate numbers you should be contacting the marketing or media relations department at Groundspeak.com, not asking in the forums.

According to the front page at this moment "There are 798,101 active geocaches around the world." and "

There are 798,101 active caches worldwide. In the last 7 days, there have been 632,630 new logs written by 83,766 account holders. Check out the recent logs or photos."

That is the best any of us could offer for truly accurate statistics worthy of publication in a respected magazine.

Edited by wimseyguy

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to reach the Groundspeak media relations folks. However, I've spoken to them in the past for simple things such as high res logos without any luck.

Because geocachers in general are a very diverse group of people from many backgrounds, I figured someone may have covered this topic before or has access to statistical data that I haven't found.

A few notes:

The number of Geocaches you have is the current number of "active" caches - Far more have been placed and archived over time.

Define country?? A few years back the site used to list all of the countries that had caches but then some "locals" got upset at the name for thier region. Or they asked why Groundspeak recognized them as a country when entity xyz didn't. Or they didn't want to be lumped in with abc. Yikes - got out of hand for a while. I think it is accurate enough to say that there is a high probability that every country has at least 1 geocache. But then dictator so-and-so will cut off some region and...... (you get the picture).

New units can simutaneously monitor anywhere from 8 to 24 sats.

A few notes:

The number of Geocaches you have is the current number of "active" caches - Far more have been placed and archived over time.

Define country?? A few years back the site used to list all of the countries that had caches but then some "locals" got upset at the name for thier region. Or they asked why Groundspeak recognized them as a country when entity xyz didn't. Or they didn't want to be lumped in with abc. Yikes - got out of hand for a while. I think it is accurate enough to say that there is a high probability that every country has at least 1 geocache. But then dictator so-and-so will cut off some region and...... (you get the picture).

New units can simutaneously monitor anywhere from 8 to 24 sats.

Thanks. Your explanation is very insightful. And thanks for correcting the monitoring fact. I'll be sure and update my info.