Is there an easy way to find total finds of my hides?

mapmand

There are a zillion ways of analysing my finds, but I'm interested in comparing my total finds of other cachers' hides to the total of other cachers' finds of my hides.

ISTM that for caching karma, I should give at least as much entertainment for others as I've taken, so ideally my total finds shouldn't be more than finds of my hides.

I've looked, but haven't found anything: AFAICS the gpx from the "My Hides" pocket query doesn't contain the number of finds, and the Groundspeak T&C seems to prohibit me from writing a program to retrieve the individual cache listings and extract the finds that way.

So it looks at the moment like I need to load the pages and manually copy the numbers. It's tiresome for my current paltry 17 hides, but it'll be impractical when I've hidden more.

Any suggestions?

A.

There are a zillion ways of analysing my finds, but I'm interested in comparing my total finds of other cachers' hides to the total of other cachers' finds of my hides.

ISTM that for caching karma, I should give at least as much entertainment for others as I've taken, so ideally my total finds shouldn't be more than finds of my hides.

I've looked, but haven't found anything: AFAICS the gpx from the "My Hides" pocket query doesn't contain the number of finds, and the Groundspeak T&C seems to prohibit me from writing a program to retrieve the individual cache listings and extract the finds that way.

So it looks at the moment like I need to load the pages and manually copy the numbers. It's tiresome for my current paltry 17 hides, but it'll be impractical when I've hidden more.

Any suggestions?

A.

GSAK has a macro that will list those particular stats (alone with others).

I'm against anything that forces a cacher to make a hide. Whether it is 1.0+ "caching karma" or a cache that requires you to hide one to claim a find, they don't promote quality caches. I would rather have a handful of high-quality hides and a lower caching karma than a whole bunch of mediocre hides to inflate that arbitrary figure. Who knows that perhaps the quality of a good, well maintained, hide didn't do more for folks than the spew (I didn't say micro!) that we are seeing in urban/suburban areas now?

I'm against anything that forces a cacher to make a hide
I quite agree. Do you object to me knowing my ratio, if I promise not to let it affect the quality of my hides?

Thanks folks for the pointer to GSAK (I've resisted installing it so far) and to the other (almost identical) thread on here.

A.

I'm against anything that forces a cacher to make a hide
I quite agree. Do you object to me knowing my ratio, if I promise not to let it affect the quality of my hides?

Thanks folks for the pointer to GSAK (I've resisted installing it so far) and to the other (almost identical) thread on here.

A.

I don't care if you want to calculate it for yourself, but I do have to say I really don't see how it's a valid measure of anything.

Should the fact that I hid a difficult puzzle cache with not many find logs due to the time involved in completing it mean that my "karma" is lower? Should I have stopped caching for the almost 12 months that I was working up a particular hide because it wasn't generating finds yet? (even though it's been getting rave reviews ever since it went live?)

As everything else with geocaching, the numbers should only really matter to you. This is just one that REALLY baffles me as to what it means. :rolleyes:

Do you object to me knowing my ratio, if I promise not to let it affect the quality of my hides?

While I agree with crawil's sentiments, his rants are off topic. And you don't have to promise anything. No need to defend yourself for wanting to know the numbers, meaningful or otherwise.

Do not resist. Come join the Dark Side. GSAK is extremely useful. Unfortunately I do not know of any other ways other than GSAK and calculating it manually.

The only other way I can think of would fall afoul of the "data scraping" agreement. The find/dnf/note number does not appear in the GPX.

Unfortunately I do not know of any other ways other than GSAK and calculating it manually.

The only other way I can think of would fall afoul of the "data scraping" agreement.

Since Groundspeak sends an email every time the cache is found

"[LOG] Owner: HolierThanThouCacher found Micro In Ivy Covered Tree #2389475 (Traditional Cache)",

I spose I can process those emails, but that's bordering on more trouble than it's worth.

A.