palm pda color screen or gray scale?

My handspring visor delux palm o/s is now a brick .I am now trying to decide weather to buy a m500 b&w or a m515 color screen. I have read many posts about the color screen washing out in bright sunlight. SO my question is to all the color screen users if you had it to do all over again would you get the color or the black &white. Is the washing out really that bad. THANKS

My handspring visor delux palm o/s is now a brick .I am now trying to decide weather to buy a m500 b&w or a m515 color screen. I have read many posts about the color screen washing out in bright sunlight. SO my question is to all the color screen users if you had it to do all over again would you get the color or the black &white. Is the washing out really that bad. THANKS

I've had both.

IIIxe, great

M500, great

Z22, can't see it at all outside

E2, can see it in a shadow outside.

I currently have a E2 and a M500. I cache with the M500. Only thing about the B&W screens is they sort of suck on night caches.

Jim

All color Palms except the Z22 have Transflective screens. They work well in sunlight. But avoid the Z22.

Not all color Palms are transflective. I have a Palm IIIc - not transflective and not very good in the sunlight. That said - the IIIc is very (very very very) old as Palm's go.

All color Palms except the Z22 have Transflective screens. They work well in sunlight. But avoid the Z22.

I agree the E2 has trasflective screen but it certainly is not like the transflective screen on my 76CSx. I can very easily see the screen on my 76 with direct sunlight on it the screen. It actually seems to be easier to see with direct light on it. With my E2 I have to stand with my back to the sun and shade the screen in order to even come close to reading it. But this is my opinion, your mileage may vary. I prefer my M500 to my E2 for caching.

Jim

Not all color Palms are transflective. I have a Palm IIIc - not transflective and not very good in the sunlight. That said - the IIIc is very (very very very) old as Palm's go.

You're right. I should have said "all currently produced Palms have Transflective screens, except the Z22."

I agree the E2 has trasflective screen but it certainly is not like the transflective screen on my 76CSx. I can very easily see the screen on my 76 with direct sunlight on it the screen. It actually seems to be easier to see with direct light on it. With my E2 I have to stand with my back to the sun and shade the screen in order to even come close to reading it. But this is my opinion, your mileage may vary. I prefer my M500 to my E2 for caching.

Jim

A higher pixel density cuts down on the amount of light reflected, as does the touch screen.