Number of finds in one day

Geoboss and I (VK2AAQ) found 241 caches in 19hrs(11th April 2009). :D We had no support team, just 2 geocachers in a rental car in an area we had never been to before. Mid morning we hit 24 caches in 1 hour and then later that day we managed to hit a stretch of 30 caches on 1 hour. We didn't find 3 caches the whole day. We only had to bypass 2 caches as mugglers were sitting on them. We did a bit of planning and picked the right weather and amount of daylight. We didn't take much stuff with us. Just 5 GPSs and 1 carry on bag each. We spent 3 days caching and took days 1 and 3 easy hitting 95 and 77 caches on these days. It can be done. It just takes a lot of everything going right with a bit of planning and a lot of experience.

A normal day caching for me is somewhere between 40-65 caches per day. Just yesterday I made 56 finds.

We usually like to take our time and settle for what we get. Even with this strategy, we probably average getting over 30 per trip.. But we did go one day with the express purpose of seeing if we could break the 100 mark. We picked out an area where we knew cache saturation was high and managed to get that easily within, i'm thinking around 10 or 11 hours of actual caching time.

On the bolded part above, i wouldn't say it was impossible, but i do have to think that either your stated time of 1 hour, or the number 30, was typed in by mistake. Even with everything working perfectly, finding a cache, opening it, signing the log, closing it, rehiding it, then making your way .1 miles to the next find, all within an average time of 2 minutes, seems a bit unlikely... :blink:

Wow, you were generous. I would call it flat out lying.

It wasn't a typo since previous to that bolded comment they said they did 24 in an hour. We are talking 3 miles of driving, parking, getting out of the car, etc. Even if they were all LPCs, it would be impossible.

I don't believe ANY of you people who AVERAGE 100+ cache finds a day. And if you are "team caching", I believe a lot of you "team cachers" have someone else find and sign. To me, that is CHEATING the game.

Pretty strong accusation for someone who's only been caching for a while, and hasn't ventured outside of their home turf to look for any. Granted yours is some of the most beautiful scenery we have in this country. and the cache density may not be that great. But before making a statement like you did, perhaps you could check out some of the other area where it's very possible to make some good numbers if that is how you want to play this game.

109 Mobster Run in Thomasville NC

Rockwall TX Bridge and area

Silicon Valley

You may have to adjust the zoom level to see the big picture. But there are plenty of caches out there for those who do enjoy finding a lot at one time. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, and if you decide it isn't for you, there still isn't any reason to insult those who do.

I don't believe ANY of you people who AVERAGE 100+ cache finds a day. And if you are "team caching", I believe a lot of you "team cachers" have someone else find and sign. To me, that is CHEATING the game.

Pretty strong accusation for someone who's only been caching for a while, and hasn't ventured outside of their home turf to look for any. Granted yours is some of the most beautiful scenery we have in this country. and the cache density may not be that great. But before making a statement like you did, perhaps you could check out some of the other area where it's very possible to make some good numbers if that is how you want to play this game.

Silicon Valley

You may have to adjust the zoom level to see the big picture. But there are plenty of caches out there for those who do enjoy finding a lot at one time. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it, and if you decide it isn't for you, there still isn't any reason to insult those who do.

Yes, very strong accusation indeed.

I haven't ventured outside my home turf? I have finds in 4 states with distance covering over 3000 miles.

I would bet money on my accusation. The odds are a million to one in my favor. I calls em like I see's them.

New Hampshire and Maine aren't really cache dense but there are areas in both states where it is possible to do over 100 caches in daylight and some cachers have hit 150 in 10+ hours. One long stretch of dirt road in Maine has caches about every .75 miles. Within the last 2 months about 30 cachers have completed a Maine challenge cache by logging over 100 finds in a day.

It isn't something everyone would want to try but a lot of cachers have probably said: "I wonder if I could do that." To each their own.

New Hampshire and Maine aren't really cache dense but there are areas in both states where it is possible to do over 100 caches in daylight and some cachers have hit 150 in 10+ hours. One long stretch of dirt road in Maine has caches about every .75 miles. Within the last 2 months about 30 cachers have completed a Maine challenge cache by logging over 100 finds in a day.

It isn't something everyone would want to try but a lot of cachers have probably said: "I wonder if I could do that." To each their own.

That sounds like a fun and doable challenge. What would really hurt, though, is getting to 90 and running out of "day".

Too easy to cheat on a challenge like that, too, but I am willing to go out on a limb and say most people would do it honestly.

I came across a cache listing while traveling from Maine to New York called "centennial challenge" or something like that which required logging 100 finds in a day. There were several regional caches for the challenges in the different New England states. There were quite a few "finders" for the challenge for the Massachusetts, Connecticut challenges, a few for the New Hampshire and Maine, but nobody had yet had a 100 finds in a day for caches only located in Vermont.

I don't recall in New York was one of the included states for the challenge but I don't know of anyone in our local community that has found 100 in a day. Perhaps there is someone up in Rochester or Buffalo that has done it but that's 2-3 hours away from where I live. So basically, if I were ever to attempt to find 100 in a day I'd almost certainly have to go someplace the day before, spend all day caching, then stay overnight and come home the following day. Since there has only been one day when I had an entire day free to go geocaching in the 2.5 years I've been doing this I suspect that I'll never get 100 in a day.

I've cached with a couple of high number cachers in our area, EMC and the Ventura kids and

have racked numbers in the 50s and have left them early in the afternoon. They have both gone

on to rack up over 100 usually before dark. It can be a lot of fun group caching and no we don't split up

while caching.

When caching by myself I usually map out an area for max density and hit the first cache by daybreak, caching

until 12 or 1pm, Sunday mornings work best for me :blink::D

There are many people who have found 50, 100 or more in a day. You will probably hear from many of them later in this thread. In cache saturated areas it's not a difficult thing to do and the caches don't all have to be .1 mile from each other.

There are also geocachrs who have found 240, and 260+ in 24 hours. Something like that takes extensive planning, a cache rich area and a driver who knows the area.

This is not necessarily correct. A friend and I found 240 in 24 hours without extensive planning and without a driver who knows the area. We were actually on a better pace (200 finds in 18 hours), but then everything fell apart the last 6 hours.

Silicon Valley

Yes, very strong accusation indeed.

I haven't ventured outside my home turf? I have finds in 4 states with distance covering over 3000 miles.

I would bet money on my accusation. The odds are a million to one in my favor. I calls em like I see's them.

Unless mattbrady is one of your dirty socks, I'm not sure why you felt compelled to rush to his defense. If it was merely to seek another antagonist to argue with, just wait around. I'm sure palofchad will be back soon. :)

PS nice odds; thanks for supporting my sig line.

Edited by wimseyguy

Silicon Valley

The cache density in those areas is astonishing and if one happens to live in one of those areas you'd certainly have the opportunity to rack up some really high numbers. However, your statement that "there are plenty of caches out there for those who do enjoy finding a lot at one time" is only really relevant if you *do* happen to live in one of those areas. I've enjoyed finding a bunch of caches in one day (though not anywhere close to what some have done) but I don't know of anyplace withing 400 miles that has the kinda of cache density shown in your examples.

However, your statement that "there are plenty of caches out there for those who do enjoy finding a lot at one time" is only really relevant if you *do* happen to live in one of those areas, or make plans to travel to one of those area.I've enjoyed finding a bunch of caches in one day (though not anywhere close to what some have done) but I don't know of anyplace withing 400 miles that has the kinda of cache density shown in your examples.

There, fixed it for ya. I've had large find days in other states as well. Some of them more than 400 miles from here. I'm assuming you enjoy paddlecaching by your nick, so once the system is back online check out Harris Yak. C'mon down sometime and have fun.

Edited to add lake targets for NYPC

Harris Lake

Falls Lake

Jordan Lake

There's even a night paddle!

Edited by wimseyguy

... It can be a lot of fun group caching and no we don't split up

while caching.

I believe you don't split up and search for separate caches simultaneously but I'll be dollars to doughnuts that you split up while searching for a cache (e.g., you check over there, I'll check over here).

That means no one individual found the number of caches stated. They found some and just signed the logs that someone else found for others.

I'm not saying it is cheating just that I am not all that impressed by group caching numbers because of that. The larger the group, the less time needed at each individual cache because of the division of searching power, so the easier it is to rack up high numbers.

Which also not to say I don't think it couldn't be fun anyway. Searching with others adds a social aspect that solo caching doesn't have. Just that the raw numbers don't mean much without knowing how many people were involved. A powercache with two people is quite a bit different from powercaching with four which is quite a bit different from powercaching with eight.

When the solo cachers get 100+, now THAT I am impressed with. Especially if they don't have a driver and are not in their home territory.