Man-made lake vs. wetland

jollymon9999

As the program has developed, the direction the program is taking has moved. Submittals are evaluated on the current goals of what an EarthCache should be. Existing EarthCaches are not reevaluated and are grandfathered.

That being said, It really is the slant you put into the writeup. A wetland for being a wetland's wouldn't fly. A dam describing how it stops river flow probably wouldn't fly either.

I think both could still make an EarthCache by changing thier focus. A wetland showing the peat formation process and going on to describe coal formation may pass. A dam describing the sedimentation into the lake and the added erosion below the dam may also pass. I have a dam failure that looks at the geology of the achnor points that lead to its failure.

I'm at a loss. I have came across earthcaches dedicated to prairies, man-made dams, and man-made lakes; however, an earthcache about a natural wetland doesn't classify. I guess I'm looking for an explanation from the masses since I never received one from the reviewer.

It's all in the angle of presentation. Why does the wetland exist? Some have unique geology and that's the angle you want.

I'm at a loss. I have came across earthcaches dedicated to prairies, man-made dams, and man-made lakes; however, an earthcache about a natural wetland doesn't classify. I guess I'm looking for an explanation from the masses since I never received one from the reviewer.

It's all in the angle of presentation. Why does the wetland exist? Some have unique geology and that's the angle you want.

Good advice.

Sorry for your loss but a natural wetland may be just that..wet. It may have a lot to do with ecology but absent significant geological phenomena, it may be a only a low lying, wet area that the government hasn't drained yet.

I too have found that the guidelines have been reviewed and have been tightened. All is probably for the good. Compared to traditional caches and that reviewing process, the guidelines here are tougher but a whole lot more consistently applied. Pity those poor, poor ALR people, as they will attest to drastic change instead of a gradual tightening. :)

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Give a good explanation of how the wetland was formed and what significance it has now. We have an EarthCache at a wetland and when we found it very easy to classify it under several choices.

We have one "wetland" EC but is has all sort of geological implications. It is an ancient cranberry bog that was carved out by receding glaciers. Yep, there are cranberries growing there thanks to the Nature Conservancy. :P