Blue Ridge Parkway - North Carolina

Hammhocks

Hi! We'll be vacationing (camping) ON the Blue Ridge Parkway this year, from the south end possibly as far north as the Boone area. We hope to stay ON the pkwy as much as possible and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for caches there or maybe even suggestions for how I can search. I've tried searching using the keyword(s) "Blue Ridge Parkway" and I only got one hit and that was in California! <_< I did another search (can't remember how I did it though) and came up with several that SEEM to be in the area but I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with the area. I've checked out the NCMAG (North Carolina Mountain Area Geocachers) web site and have posted on their forum as well. I'll be thrilled with any and all info you can give me!

Thanks in advance!

Hammhocks

Hi! We'll be vacationing (camping) ON the Blue Ridge Parkway this year, from the south end possibly as far north as the Boone area. We hope to stay ON the pkwy as much as possible and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for caches there or maybe even suggestions for how I can search. I've tried searching using the keyword(s) "Blue Ridge Parkway" and I only got one hit and that was in California! :D I did another search (can't remember how I did it though) and came up with several that SEEM to be in the area but I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with the area. I've checked out the NCMAG (North Carolina Mountain Area Geocachers) web site and have posted on their forum as well. I'll be thrilled with any and all info you can give me!

Thanks in advance!

Hammhocks

OMG...I was just researching this some more and found out it's illegal to cache on the pkwy. Apparently a felony. So I guess that explains why I'm not coming up with much. :D

http://theendoftheroad.typepad.com/the_nee...ching-ille.html

But I'll still be willing to take any recommendations ya'll might have as to "nearby" caches. Preferably something that involves a light hike and some beautiful scenery. I don't ask for much! <_<

Hammhocks

OMG...I was just researching this some more and found out it's illegal to cache on the pkwy. Apparently a felony. So I guess that explains why I'm not coming up with much. :laughing:

http://theendoftheroad.typepad.com/the_nee...ching-ille.html

But I'll still be willing to take any recommendations ya'll might have as to "nearby" caches. Preferably something that involves a light hike and some beautiful scenery. I don't ask for much! :laughing:

Hammhocks

Hmmm... that can't be right. I've found caches on the Blue Ridge in North Carolina. I think the Blue Ridge passes through different sections of land managed by several different agencies and the caching policies will differ depending where you are on the Parkway.

That blog post didn't mention the actual location of the cache. The patrol car says "Park Ranger" and the sign nearby says "Green Mountain Creek". Maybe this was at the southern most part of the Blue Ridge that runs through Julian Price Memorial Park? Looks like Green Mountain Creek forms the boundary of that park near the Blue Ridge...

A quick search for nearby Blowing Rock, NC and some dragging of the Google Maps shows that whole stretch of the Parkway through both Julian Price and Moses H Cone is cache-free. There are a few north and south of there (Grandfather's Shadow II, one that I've found is south of there) that are right off the Parkway. The blog post was from 2007 so the cache is surely archived by now.

Your best bet is to make use of the "caches along a route" feature and search along the whole Blue Ridge.

The BRP is managed by the National Park Service. Until recently the NPS had an outright ban on caching on their lands, so there won't be any on the BRP itself. The boundaries of this particular property are quite irregular, and do include Julien Price and Moses Cone Parks. None of the caches that are near the parkway are on NPS property. It does cut through some state and national forests that do contain a few caches though.

Here are a few caches between Cherokee and Boone that are accessible FROM the BRP. They are probably not located physically on BRP property but you should be able to park on the BRP and take a trail to the cache from there.

GC13Y5Y

GC3FF8 Highly recommended!

GCXF67

GCH5TQ

GCG28M Highly recommended!

GC5B1B Highly recommended!

GC1BEYZ Highly recommended!

GCJGCE Highly recommended!

GC3FFA Highly recommended! (And there are 6 additional caches along the route.)

GCFAF5

GC1FGP5

GC1K1H6 A park and grab

GCGW8R

GCCED1 Highly recommended!

GCG4ZP

GCG4ZT

GC1CZ29

GCXXQ9

GCXXQH

GCXY65

GC19GAX

GCYJEE Solve puzzle first

GC16HMM The Folk Art Center is highly recommended!

GC16HKR The Folk Art Center is highly recommended!

GCJ7TV

GCJ7TM

GCHNYC

GCGVE5

GC1D5R9

GC1Q8QG

GCH0ZJ

GCGNFP

GCH8XF

GC1NFHC

GC3E03

GCM7W4 Highly recommended!

GCJKMB Highly recommended!

Hope this helps! Be aware that a decent chunk of the BRP is closed -- from Craggy to Mt Mitchell. Enjloy your drive!