Request to DeLorme PN* Owners

I've been scouring the net for info, but I can't seem to find any pics of the simple basemap that the pn-40 comes with, except for the few images on the DeLorme site that show the Middle East and Australia (I think).

What I'm curious about is what information the world basemap contains for Canada. I know it isn't going to have contours, POIs, etc - so I expect something very basic. But I'd like to know (see) it before buying the unit.

I've tried going to my local REI to see one, but they didn't carry any units in the store :rolleyes:

If there are any pn-40 owners with a couple minutes to spare, would you be able to post a screenshot of the basemap centered around this area in Canada:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.....471924&z=9 ?

(I ask because one of my main purposes for the unit will be to map some older trails my grandfather had made to one of the lakes in that image. Although I've returned to the area many times and know how to get to the lake, I'm still not 100% sure which of the lakes it actually is since the sat imagery on Google is not high-res enough to determine the trails taken. I'd like to use the unit once I reach the lake to sort of "zoom-out" and see my position in relation to the lakes. I know this could be done with reference imagery once I returned home, with any unit, but doing so in the field would be crucial).

Any info or screens is much appreciated, and I can promise a returned favor to anyone who is able oblige!

Edited by stevensj2

I've been scouring the net for info, but I can't seem to find any pics of the simple basemap that the pn-40 comes with, except for the few images on the DeLorme site that show the Middle East and Australia (I think).

What I'm curious about is what information the world basemap contains for Canada. I know it isn't going to have contours, POIs, etc - so I expect something very basic. But I'd like to know (see) it before buying the unit.

I've tried going to my local REI to see one, but they didn't carry any units in the store :rolleyes:

If there are any pn-40 owners with a couple minutes to spare, would you be able to post a screenshot of the basemap centered around this area in Canada:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.....471924&z=9 ?

Any info or screens is much appreciated, and I can promise a returned favor to anyone who is able oblige!

Can't post pics, not sure how. But, I see that DeLorme will be releasing the new TOPO 8 soon which will have a LOT more for Canada and Mexico!

If I remember correctly it depends on where you are looking for the Canada area. Something like Toronto seems to have more detail since it is closer to the US border so I think the street layer was improved. Now Edmonton or other areas that aren't close to the border the base map only shows the major highways. I will capture a couple of picture and post them for the 2 areas.

See the other post regard the new T8 and the added stuff for Canada and Mexico. The pictures are below with a base map of Europe and zoomed in as much as it can on London. Toronto I can zoom down to a quarter mile (and I might be able to zoom in more if I had a border state loaded on my PN unit instead of just the base map) while Edmonton I can only get down to the 8 mile zoom.

The area in question just allows the zoom to the 8 mile area and shows several lakes (none of them named and a whole lot of empty space)

Edited by snow_rules

I'm in Canada myself and my current setup for the last 6 years has been using a Windows Mobile device with a bluetooth GPS. This has been great because I have 4 different programs doing exactly what I want. Even though all are useful (driving directions for eg) the one I find most useful is for hiking/canoeing. I am able to load my own raster/vector maps and create whatever map I want and load it in.

Working for the government I have access to loads of data vector, raster imagery and such and I'm having a hard time picking out an all in one GPS unit. The reason I want to upgrade is half my gear I bring is to protect the PocketPC and GPS unit from the elements, so I want something truly rugged and waterproof.

I want a device that I can load whatever I want and not be tied down to just proprietary maps. Heck, if I've been doing it for over 6 years on my PocketPC why can't Garmin, or Delorme?

Sorry for being verbose, but I'm curious what can and can't be done. So after emails from Magellan, Garmin and Delorme, the closest seems to be this PN-40? I need Northern Ontario, and if there is nothing, I need to be able to easy georeference my own maps and get them on the device.

If nothing can do this, I'll stick with my Otterbox and keep extra power for the PocketPC, but can the PN-40 do what I need?

Working for the government I have access to loads of data vector, raster imagery and such and I'm having a hard time picking out an all in one GPS unit. I need Northern Ontario, and if there is nothing, I need to be able to easy georeference my own maps and get them on the device.

As stated earlier, xMap will let you georeference raster files and the latest update of xMap Pro will now do shapefiles.

Thanks for all the replies so far! A lot more info than I expected so soon :)

If I understand correctly, XMap is on discount to pn-40 owners. I'll have to look more into what exactly it is (I see the name pop up, but I haven't researched its full purpose and features).

Although the appeal of the DeLorme unit is less $ spent on maps, if I've got the right idea of XMap, its utility could pay for itself after just a few custom rasters.

Thanks again all.

Hello all,

I've been looking all over the net for Europe maps for Delorme PN-20/40 series, specially for Italy. I can't find nothing. Will greatly appreciate some help for Street, base, color maps ad or imagery.

Thanks,

email; rodriguez3030 at yahoo dot com

Samrod3030, Italy

Edited by Hemlock

Hello all,

I've been looking all over the net for Europe maps for Delorme PN-20/40 series, specially for Italy. I can't find nothing. Will greatly appreciate some help for Street, base, color maps ad or imagery.

Thanks,

email; rodriguez3030 at yahoo dot com

Samrod3030, Italy

Hi,

Unless you want to be spammed I suggest the email address be edited in some fashion. Sinilar to what I did for it in the quote.

As for European maps and aerials, the only way you'll currently make that work is to buy Xmap along with the PN-40 to create your own from locally acquired maps. The basemap is very basic at best. Road view is minimal and becomes visible when you zoom out to the 8 mile level.