Icons for disable listing and archive listing wrong?

Starglider

Is it a bug or a feature that on the cache pages the lock icon is used for "archive listing" and the trash can icon is used for "disable listing"?

That looks quite wrong to me.

Archiving a listing is a pretty permanent thing (I can't undo it on my own) so I would expect the trash can to be the right icon for that since things I put in there are usually gone.

Temporarily disabling a listing is like locking out visitors for some days so I would expect the lock icon there.

But it probably has been like that for years now and I just never noticed.

Now that you mention it, the icons for the log types are backwards too.

icon_disabled.gif Disable = do-not-enter sign. In traffic, those are pretty permanent.

traffic_cone.gif Archive = orange cone. In traffic, those are temporary.

I'm sure they'll fix that at the same time as they clarify what a "member" is. (If you haven't paid, you're a "member", but you can't find a "members-only" cache.)

Now that you mention it, the icons for the log types are backwards too.

icon_disabled.gif Disable = do-not-enter sign. In traffic, those are pretty permanent.

traffic_cone.gif Archive = orange cone. In traffic, those are temporary.

I'm sure they'll fix that at the same time as they clarify what a "member" is. (If you haven't paid, you're a "member", but you can't find a "members-only" cache.)

The traffic cone for an archived cache long predates the ability to disable the cache.

I'm the person who came up with the both the Disable and Enabled icons (and Updated Coordinates, too). The intent was simply to convey "don't try to go there", not the level of permanence. Red and green "lights" were already being used for Publish and Retract, so those were out. So far, there hasn't been a high level of confusion. A few people unfamiliar with international signage think it's a minus sign, but that works too.

Flipping the meanings at this late date simply isn't going to happen. They are already referenced in too many other places.

As for "members", it's correctly termed in the cache edit page, but the PQ does still need to be fixed. But I consider it just an interesting quirk - sort of like how "public school" actually means private school in the U.K.