Garmin eTrex Vista HCx Vs. Garmin Etrex Venture HC

Ok crew, I need some help with this one. I just got into geocaching and I’m looking to buy a handheld GPS. Both devices seem to be getting good reviews. I was wondering if anyone had experience or an opinion on which device is better. I will primarily be using the device for geocaching, however I would like the device to be suitable for hikes and other outdoor activities. Also, do the advantages of the etrex Vista HCx justify its’ higher price? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I decided to split the difference and bought the eTrex Legend HCx.

The Venture HC has no memory card slot. I want to use maps ... more maps than the 24MB internal memory will hold.

I have no use for the electronic compass and barometer on the Vista.

The Legend HCx has the good performance of both, has the memory card slot and doesn't have the electronic stuff.

...ken...

I have the vista hcx and a summit hc which is basically the venture hc without the compass/altimeter, I see no real advantange between the two for basic offroad use except memory for map space(hcx takes memory cards)... but even that isnt as big an issue as it would seem unless your planning on loading mulitple maps or planning on traveling any great distance and need the area, I have ibycus's street maps on my summit hc and can fit almost the whole state of wisconsin on it, thats not the whole world worth of maps but plenty for what I need it for, and if I need it only takes my laptop and a few minutes to down load whatever other area I may need onto it and then reload my original map when done, but so far I havent had the need...

supposedly there is no performance difference between the two and for the most part I'd agree, however, in my case, I have noticed that on a couple occasions that the summit actually outperformed the vista to a small degree... I bought the summit just for a workhorse/backup to my vista and for an extra unit for the kids or whoever to use but I found that I actually use the summit alot more than vista, partly because the vista hcx is alot more expensive but also because the vista has all the street capabilities and I just dont want to beat it up...

the compass and altimeter is a plus and I do use the compass once in a while but to be honest having them really isnt that big a deal...

if the map memory isnt an issue or working around it isnt a problem, and if the compass/altimeter isnt a necessity then I wouldnt be afraid at all of getting a venture hc over a vista hcx for general offroad use, performance-wise they're the same...

I dont really know what either is going for now but I paid $240 for my vista hcx when I bought it and found summit hc's on sale for $150 when I bought that, $100 difference and for offroad I use the summit hc more... the last I looked you could pick up venture hc's for just over $100, thats $150 difference... thats quite a bit...

Thanks for the great feedback. Any others ideas or comments?

I wouldn't go for the Venture HC unless it is a lot cheaper than the Legend HCx since 24Mb will become a limitation sooner or later.

I decided for the Legend HCx instead of the Vista HCx as I didn't thinkt it was worth the extra $$$ for the electronic compass. The Vista HCx and the Legend HCx are identical expect for the electronic compass and the barometric altimeter.

One more thing to consider is whether or not the GPSr will accept user defined POI's. The Vista and Legend will accept them, while the Venture does not. What does that mean for you? Well, by using Garmin's POI loader, plus a GSAK macro, you can load most information from a cache page onto your GPSr. That's called paperless caching! No need to carry extra equipment like a PDA or reams of paper with your caches, because it can all be loaded on the same machine. You can do a search on paperless caching, or POI and find the string that discusses how to do it. I find this aspect of the Vista I own (or Legend) very important and useful to me. Just my three and a half cents.

One more thing to consider is whether or not the GPSr will accept user defined POI's. The Vista and Legend will accept them, while the Venture does not. What does that mean for you? Well, by using Garmin's POI loader, plus a GSAK macro, you can load most information from a cache page onto your GPSr. That's called paperless caching! No need to carry extra equipment like a PDA or reams of paper with your caches, because it can all be loaded on the same machine. You can do a search on paperless caching, or POI and find the string that discusses how to do it. I find this aspect of the Vista I own (or Legend) very important and useful to me. Just my three and a half cents.

The Venture HC with its last firmware can also receive custom POI's.

I just wanted to extend another thank you to all that helped out. I am new to geocaching and truly thankful for all the feedback. I am leaning towards the Vista HCX, however I do have a few more questions:

1. What is a GSAK marco and what does this enable you to do? Is it hard to use for a newbie?

2. What type / size of memory card would you recommend and is there a difference between MicroSD and MicroSDHC? Can the Vista HCX use both?

Edited by hockey_buddha

I just wanted to extend another thank you to all that helped out. I am new to geocaching and truly thankful for all the feedback. I am leaning towards the Vista HCX, however I do have a few more questions:

1. What is a GSAK marco and what does this enable you to do? Is it hard to use for a newbie?

2. What type / size of memory card would you recommend and is there a difference between MicroSD and MicroSDHC? Can the Vista HCX use both?

1. There are different ways to load your GPS with caches.

Non-premium member:

1) Use the "Send to GPS" saves the geocache coordinates on your GPS.

2) On my.garmin.com you can send 18 (or something like that) geocaches at a time to your GPS.

Both above methods will give you waypoints with the geocache code and the coordinates. The rest you will have to carry with you as printouts, notes etc...

3) Load .GPX(or .LOC) files into Mapsource and export them to the GPS. With this method you can change waypoint name, include som limted notes (33 characters?).

Premium member but NOT GSAK:

1) Get pocket queries (PQ = up to 500 caches in one GPX file). Import to Mapsource and send to your GPS.

Premium member AND GSAK:

1) Get PQ:s and import them into GSAK. Use the Send to GPS function to send them to your GPS as waypoints. Suggestions on how to include some basic information can be found here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3857284

2) Get PQ:s and import them into GSAK. Use the 60CSxPOI macro to export the caches as custom POIs. Some suggestions on how I use it can be found here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=3861333

Premium memberships costs $30/year but you'll get 30 days free with each garmin GPS you have. GSAK costs $25 but you can use it for a while for free before the nag screens becomes unbearable. I suggest you start with method 1 for Premium member and GSAK (as you can do this 30 days for free before deciding). When you feel familiar enough with GSAK. Start looking at macros.

2. Anything above 2Gb is SDHC (or MicroSDHC in this case). I'm using a 2Gb microSD with my Legend HCx. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes SDHC cards but at the moment the largest map image you can use is 2Gb so you won't benefit much from a larger card even if it works. To be on the safe side. Get a 2Gb card.