What's the point?

FaithCacher22

Can someone explain archived caches to me a little better, please? I haven't looked into it too much, but I've read a couple things in passing, that you can archive a cache when the owner doesn't watch over it anymore, or something's wrong with it, but that you can also still find and log an archived cache...but what's the point of archiving it, if it's still findable and loggable, and whats the purpose? I'm just confused...Thanks.

Hi there,

In the perfect caching world, a cache would pretty much only get archived when it wasn't actually there.

However sometimes some people log a 'Needs Archived' for a cache that is just a little damp or needs a new log book or something like that. Eventually it is likely that cache will get archived by a reviewer in their normal routine for such things (if it does not get maintained by the owner). So those caches are still there, and people sometimes still find them, particularly if the cache owner is not involved with caching anymore, and doesn''t go out and pick up the container.

The only people who can archive a cache are the cache owner, or a Reviewer.

Annie

Can someone explain archived caches to me a little better, please? I haven't looked into it too much, but I've read a couple things in passing, that you can archive a cache when the owner doesn't watch over it anymore, or something's wrong with it, but that you can also still find and log an archived cache...but what's the point of archiving it, if it's still findable and loggable, and whats the purpose? I'm just confused...Thanks.

In short this is a listing service. They agree to list the cache as long as in conforms to the guidelines. The cache owner in turn agrees to maintain the cache (see the cache maintenance section of the guidelines). If the cache owner does not keep up his end of the bargain the cache can be archived.

GC.com does not seek out these unmaintained caches. They are usually only archived after complaints are received.

Edited by briansnat