Oregon . . . Caches in the Wapoints List

I just bought an Oregon . . . been using a 60Csx for a quite a while.

On the Oregon, when I do a "Where To?" and select "Waypoints", I still see caches loaded via a .gpx. I know that this is normal behavior for other units where the caches are loaded as waypoints, but thought I had read somewhere that with the Oregon this wasn't the case since the caches are technically no longer waypoints. Ideally, I'd just like to see real waypoints, not caches, when I select a waypoints Where To.

Is there some way of filtering out the gpx-loaded caches from the Waypoints view with the Oregon?

I've also noticed that in the Waypoints view, caches more or less have the geocaching waypoint as the name, but they don't start with "GC". Mine seem to start with random alpha-numeric characters, following by the Geocaching waypoint without the "GC". Is there a naming convention to this?

Thanks!

Edited by New Jersey TJ

I just bought an Oregon . . . been using a 60Csx for a quite a while.

On the Oregon, when I do a "Where To?" and select "Waypoints", I still see caches loaded via a .gpx. I know that this is normal behavior for other units where the caches are loaded as waypoints, but thought I had read somewhere that with the Oregon this wasn't the case since the caches are technically no longer waypoints. Ideally, I'd just like to see real waypoints, not caches, when I select a waypoints Where To.

Is there some way of filtering out the gpx-loaded caches from the Waypoints view with the Oregon?

I've also noticed that in the Waypoints view, caches more or less have the geocaching waypoint as the name, but they don't start with "GC". Mine seem to start with random alpha-numeric characters, following by the Geocaching waypoint without the "GC". Is there a naming convention to this?

Thanks!

I had this problem when I first got the Oregon. I use GSAK and export my caches as a GPX/LOC file, but make sure you select GPX ver 1.0 at the top. Ver 1.1 exports them as waypoints, ver 1.0 exports them as geocaches.

How do you delete waypoints and caches? Can you do them all or one at a time?

Thanks

Waypoints - One at a time via the Waypoint Manager or all at once via Setup/Reset/Delete All Waypoints

Caches -Only all at once by deleting the associated gpx file.

Edited by Tequila

Thanks Tequila and G-O . . .they absolutely were the children. I didn't ever load those before, which is why I didn't recognize the naming convention. I sorta went crazy with the Oregon and loaded the -wpts gpx as well.

Interesting . . . because the children really are waypoints, you can't delete them by deleting the .gpx that loaded them, as you can with the caches. :lol: I had to take them out the hard way.

Yinnies: Delete the caches by deleting the .gpx file. The waypoints you have to delete manually, either using the Waypoint Manager, or the Setup, Reset menu.

Thanks, guys!!!

Thanks Tequila and G-O . . .they absolutely were the children. I didn't ever load those before, which is why I didn't recognize the naming convention. I sorta went crazy with the Oregon and loaded the -wpts gpx as well.

Interesting . . . because the children really are waypoints, you can't delete them by deleting the .gpx that loaded them, as you can with the caches. :lol: I had to take them out the hard way.

Yinnies: Delete the caches by deleting the .gpx file. The waypoints you have to delete manually, either using the Waypoint Manager, or the Setup, Reset menu.

Thanks, guys!!!